1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2Coins probability of Heads-tails in 40 tosses? HELP!

1. Mar 25, 2005 #1
    2 coins are tossed at the same time There are 3 colums in a chart

1) Heads-Heads
    2) Heads-Tails or Tails-Heads

the coins were tossed 40 times simultaneously.

What was the probability that heads-tails (or tails-heads) would appear? Show calculations.

(HINT: The probability of these two combinations must be added together because they were recorded together.)

Im thinking its 2/4 but not sure, and dont know what to show as calculations.
    PLEASE HELP ME! :redface:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2005 #2
    but im not so great with it either, but wouldnt it be 1/3 chance for all?
  4. Mar 25, 2005 #3
    For your information all of my posts are different questions so mind your own business.
  5. Mar 26, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you're correct.

You have a 50% chance of coin 1 coming up heads. If coin 1 comes up heads, you have a 50% chance of coin 2 coming up heads. .5 * .5 gives you a 25% chance of both coins coming up heads.

If you do the same for each combination, you wind up with a 25% chance of each combination coming up. Since the coins are tossed simultaneously, you don't know if you have heads-tails or tails-heads. So you add the probabilities for both combinations together.
  6. Mar 26, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

Unless, of course, you have two different coins (say a quarter and a loonie) and it matters which one is which. Then you would consider loonie-heads and quarter-tails as a different outcome from loonie-tails and quarter-heads, each with 25% probability.
  7. Mar 26, 2005 #6
    can u show me what the calculation would look like BOB? I understand what your saying but not 100% sure.
  8. Mar 26, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this pertains to statistics, you'll need to employ proper formulas and concepts to solve this equation, it may NOT be 1/2.
  9. Mar 26, 2005 #8
    no this is not physics it was just a Bio lab using a little bit of probability to help understand mendel and the pea plant .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?