1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D and 3D Relative Velocity

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Hello I am new to this forum and I am desperate, I cannot figure this out, my professor gives us four assignments a year, on subjects that she will not lecture on at all and we have to read and find out on our own and right a report on it and then do four problems she chooses, well in theory I understand completely, but when I get to the 2d and 3d I really get confused and cant solve the problems, really frustrating not having any notes to look over. Here is the problem I am getting stuck on.

An airplane Pilot sets a compass course due west and maintains an airspeed of 220km/h. After flying for .500 hours, the pilot finds the plane over a town 120km west and 20km south of the planes starting point. A) Find the wind velocity(magnatude and direction). B) If the wind velocity is 40km/h due south, in what direction should the pilot set the course to travel due west? Use the same airspeed of 220km/h

please help. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    I have tried the pythagorean theorum to try to solve for the magnatude of the wind, and the direction and I get a plausable answer but it never is the same as in the back of the book. I know that it probably isnt a right triangle. but I still cant figure this problem out after overloading my brain for almost 8 hours. The only equations my book gives is this one:
    Velocity P/A= Velocity A/B+ Velocity P/B and that really doesnt help. either this book sucks or I am not getting it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?