2D Collision using momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two equal mass hockey pucks undergoing a glancing collision. Puck 1 is initially at rest and is struck by puck 2, which has a velocity of 13 m/s[E]. After the collision, Puck 1 travels at an angle of [E18N] and Puck 2 travels at an angle of [E4S]. The problem asks to determine the final velocity of each puck using the equations for conservation of momentum. The conversation also mentions confusion about the direction of the angles and how to solve the problem with only the initial velocities given.
member_216668

Homework Statement

Two equal mass hockey pucks undergo a glancing collision. Puck 1 is initially at rest and is struck by puck 2 traveling at a velocity of 13 m/s[E]. Puck 1 travels at an angle of [E18N] after the collision. Puck 2 travels at an angle of [E4S]. Determine the final velocity of each puck.

How do I solve the problem using conservation of momentum since I only have the two initial velocities?

Homework Equations

p=mv
mv1+mv2 = mv1f+mv2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the equations for a perfectly elastic collision

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If they have equal masses, shouldn't puck 2 have a velocity of 0 and not move in any direction? I'm not sure but that is how I learned the conservation of momentum.

Well puck 1 has a velocity of zero and puck 2 strikes it, so in the conservation of momentum equation, v1 cancels out along with all the masses. The equation then becomes v2 = v1f + v2f. With that equation there's two unknown values and one known, so I'm not sure how to solve it from this point on.

Isaac0427 said:
If they have equal masses, shouldn't puck 2 have a velocity of 0 and not move in any direction? I'm not sure but that is how I learned the conservation of momentum.
That's only if it's a head-on elastic collision. This is a glancing collision.

member_216668 said:

Homework Statement

Two equal mass hockey pucks undergo a glancing collision. Puck 1 is initially at rest and is struck by puck 2 traveling at a velocity of 13 m/s[E]. Puck 1 travels at an angle of [E18N] after the collision. Puck 2 travels at an angle of [E4S]. Determine the final velocity of each puck.

How do I solve the problem using conservation of momentum since I only have the two initial velocities?

Homework Equations

p=mv
mv1+mv2 = mv1f+mv2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the equations for a perfectly elastic collision

What does angle [E18N] mean? Is it 18 degrees north of east? Is is 18 degrees east of north? Is it something else?

What is 2D collision using momentum?

2D collision using momentum is a concept in physics that describes the interaction between two objects in a two-dimensional space. It involves the transfer of momentum from one object to another during a collision, which can affect the motion and velocity of both objects.

How is momentum calculated in a 2D collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In a 2D collision, the momentum of each object can be calculated separately using their respective masses and velocities. The total momentum of the system is the sum of the individual momentums of the objects.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved during a collision, even if the objects involved may change direction or speed.

How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of a 2D collision?

The angle of collision can affect the outcome of a 2D collision by changing the direction of the objects' velocities after the collision. If the objects collide head-on, their velocities will be affected in opposite directions. If the objects collide at an angle, the resulting velocities will also be at an angle.

What factors can affect the momentum of an object in a 2D collision?

The momentum of an object in a 2D collision can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the angle of collision. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces can also affect the momentum of an object during a collision.