Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Collisions

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1

MTK

I am trying to find a way to calculate a collision of two objects with rotation. I only managed to find two explanations on the internet, and even they didn't consider friction.

I do know these things that may be helpful:

velocity vectors of the objects
    velocity vectors of the colliding point on the objects
    surface normal and tangent
    angular velocities of the objects
    masses of the objects
    elasticities of the objects
    frictions of the objects

Is there a formula that can tell me the post-collision linear and angular velocities of the objects from this information?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2
    Search for "Conservation of Momentum" and "Conservation of Angular Momentum" - you should be able to find some explanations and examples.

-Kerry

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3

MTK

I figured it out by this website (Link)

The only problem is that it does not account for friction.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    What do you mean, it doesn't account for friction? Where is it that you are expecting friction to come into play? Can you give an example?

Typically, this type of problem involves considering the system just before and just after impact, so if there is friction between the two bodies and the surface they are sliding on, for example, that has no influence on the collision. It may influence the speeds at which they come into contact and the distances that they travel after the impact, however.

-Kerry

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without friction between the balls, no angular momentum (spin) will be transfered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook