Calculating a Collision of Two Rotating Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a collision between two objects with rotation and the factors that may affect the outcome. The speaker has found two explanations on the internet but they do not consider friction. They mention that knowledge of velocity vectors, surface normal and tangent, angular velocities, masses, and elasticities of the objects may be helpful. The other speaker suggests searching for "Conservation of Momentum" and "Conservation of Angular Momentum" to find more information. The first speaker then mentions finding a solution on a website, but it does not account for friction. The second speaker clarifies that friction may not have an impact on the collision itself, but it may affect the objects' speeds and distances after impact.
MTK
I am trying to find a way to calculate a collision of two objects with rotation. I only managed to find two explanations on the internet, and even they didn't consider friction.

I do know these things that may be helpful:

velocity vectors of the objects
velocity vectors of the colliding point on the objects
surface normal and tangent
angular velocities of the objects
masses of the objects
elasticities of the objects
frictions of the objects

Is there a formula that can tell me the post-collision linear and angular velocities of the objects from this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Search for "Conservation of Momentum" and "Conservation of Angular Momentum" - you should be able to find some explanations and examples.

-Kerry

I figured it out by this website (Link)

The only problem is that it does not account for friction.

What do you mean, it doesn't account for friction? Where is it that you are expecting friction to come into play? Can you give an example?

Typically, this type of problem involves considering the system just before and just after impact, so if there is friction between the two bodies and the surface they are sliding on, for example, that has no influence on the collision. It may influence the speeds at which they come into contact and the distances that they travel after the impact, however.

-Kerry

KLoux said:
What do you mean, it doesn't account for friction? Where is it that you are expecting friction to come into play? Can you give an example?
Without friction between the balls, no angular momentum (spin) will be transfered.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of two rotating objects?

The velocity of two rotating objects can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the rotating object, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

2. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia for a rotating object can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass.

3. How do you determine the angular velocity of a rotating object?

The angular velocity of a rotating object can be determined by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions for rotating objects?

In an elastic collision, both objects involved in the collision maintain their shape and kinetic energy is conserved. In an inelastic collision, the objects may deform or stick together, and kinetic energy is not conserved. The moment of inertia also plays a role in determining the outcome of a rotating collision.

5. How does the center of mass affect the calculation of a collision between two rotating objects?

The center of mass of a rotating object is the point at which the object's mass can be considered to be concentrated. When calculating a collision between two rotating objects, the center of mass is used to determine the initial velocities and positions of the objects before and after the collision. This allows for the calculation of the angular velocities and moment of inertia for the system.