1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2d Collisions

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car with a mass of 1400 kg is westbound at 50 km/h. It collides at an intersection with a northbound truck having a mass of 2000 kg and travelling at 40 km/h. What is the initial common velocity of the car and truck immediately after the collision if they have an inelastic collision? For this question, a diagram is drawn for you. The mass' stick after colliding

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i tried 2 different methods
    m1v1+m2v2=mv* and the other method i used was that i drew a triangle (made vectors) found the hypotenuse (momentum combined) and from there i divided by the mass to get the velocity.
    When i did this i got 2 different answers im really confused which one is correct please help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2
    Momentum is a vector and so you need to pay attention to the directions .

The best and easiest way to solve this question would be to conserve momentum along north-south direction , and then along east west , and then simply find the net magnitude of velocity .

I cannot understand what exactly you have written , but from what I can tell , method 2 seems to be correct .

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
    Both methods are correct. The second method is just a graphical representation of the first.
    But as Qwertywerty said: you can't just add vectors.

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4
    Oh, okay thank you soo much guys I get it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted