Solve 2D Elastic Collision: Prove 90° Angle Between Objects

In summary, an object of mass m1 with velocity v1 hits an object of mass m2 with velocity v2. The angle between them is equal to 90 degrees.
ambsop

Homework Statement

Object 1 with velocity v hits object 2, of same mass at velocity 2. Prove that the angle between them after the collision is equal to 90 degrees.

Homework Equations

PE inital = PE final
KE initial = KE final

The Attempt at a Solution

P x component
m1 x v1 + 0 = (m1)(v'1)(costheta1) + (m1)(v'2)(costheta2)

p y comp
0 = (m1)(v'1)(sintheta1) + (m1)(v'2)(sintheta2)

kinetic E equation simplifies to
v1 - v2 = v'2 - v'1

I can't figure out how to combine the three to a point where they simplify.

Physics news on Phys.org
ambsop said:
kinetic E equation simplifies to
v1 - v2 = v'2 - v'1
If I recall correctly, this relationship only holds for elastic collisions in one dimension.

Try squaring each of the two equations you have and then add them together. Then use the fact that the collision is elastic to eliminate some of the terms.

okay, so i tried that and I'm still stuck. Here's what I did: (' meaning after collision)

V1x = v1'cos1 + v2'cos2
V1y = v1'sin1 + v2'sin2

V^2 = V1x^2 + V2y^2
(v1'cos1)^2 + 2v1'v2'cos1cos2 + (v2'cos2)^2 + (v1'sin1)^2 + 2v1'v2'sin1sin2 + (v2'sin2)^2

From kinetic energy:
V^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2
(v1' = v1'cos1 + v1'sin1
v2' = v2'cos2 + v2sin2)
(v1'cos1)^2 + 2v1v1cos1sin1 + (v1sin1)^2 + (v2cos2)^2 + 2v2v2cos2sin2 + (v2sin2)^2

Setting the momentum equation to the kinetic energy equation and simplifying leaves me with:

v1v2(cos1cos2 + sin1sin2) = v1v1cos1sin1 + v2v2cos2sin2

using trig identities:
1. sinusinv = 1/2[cos(u-v) - cos(u+v)] and
2. cosucosv = 1/2[cos(u-v) + cos (u+v)] results in the left side of the equation simplifying to:
cos(1-2)v1v2 = v1v1cos1sin1 + v2v2cos2sin2

i don't know what to do with this equation now.

You're not squaring the velocities correctly. There is no cross term with the x and y components because they are orthogonal. In other words,
[tex]\vec{v} = v\cos\theta\,\hat{i} + v\sin\theta\,\hat{j},[/tex] so when you square this vector, you get
[tex]v^2 = \vec{v}\cdot\vec{v} = (v \cos\theta)^2 + (v\sin\theta)^2.[/tex] You don't get [itex](v\cos\theta+v\sin \theta)^2[/itex].

I'm confused. I think I'm over complicating this problem. So that equation you just gave me, comes from the kinetic energy equation right? But is it v1cos1 or v2cos2? And where does momentum play into this? Do I really need to break it up into the x and y components?

What I'm saying is this part is wrong:
ambsop said:
From kinetic energy:
V^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2
(v1' = v1'cos1 + v1'sin1
v2' = v2'cos2 + v2sin2)
If an object is moving 3 m/s in the x-direction and 4 m/s in the y-direction, its speed isn't 8 m/s. It's 5 m/s. You don't simply (scalar) add the individual components to get the speed.

Therefore, the following is wrong
(v1'cos1)^2 + 2v1v1cos1sin1 + (v1sin1)^2 + (v2cos2)^2 + 2v2v2cos2sin2 + (v2sin2)^2
The cross terms shouldn't be there.

I now understand why my first approach was wrong, but I don't know how to start this problem.

You're almost there. Just fix your mistake.

1. How do you solve a 2D elastic collision?

To solve a 2D elastic collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations allow you to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision. You will also need to consider the direction of motion and the angles between the objects.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are the same. In other words, the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy.

3. How do you prove a 90° angle between objects in a 2D elastic collision?

To prove a 90° angle between objects in a 2D elastic collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations will help you calculate the velocities of the objects after the collision. If the angle between the velocities of the objects is 90°, then the angle between the objects themselves will also be 90°.

4. What is the significance of a 90° angle in a 2D elastic collision?

A 90° angle between objects in a 2D elastic collision indicates that the collision was a perfect elastic collision. This means that no energy was lost during the collision and the objects bounced off each other at a right angle. This is a rare occurrence in real-world collisions but is often used in physics problems as an ideal scenario.

5. Can a 2D elastic collision occur at any angle other than 90°?

Yes, a 2D elastic collision can occur at any angle between the two objects. The angle between the objects will depend on the initial velocities and masses of the objects. However, if the collision is perfectly elastic, the angle between the objects will always be 90°.