Answer "Solving 2D Elastic Collision Homework

In summary: And then I'm stuck. I don't know what to do with the cosθ term and the fact that I don't have the same number of terms on both sides.I know I'm missing something obvious...?And if the angle between the two balls is 90 deg, wouldn't the angle between the first ball's direction and the x-axis also be 90 deg? So how would the first ball move away with an angle of 30 deg? Wouldn't it just bounce straight back in the opposite direction?In summary, the problem involves two identical balls colliding elastically, with one ball initially moving at a speed of 3.0 m/s and the other ball at rest. The first ball moves away from the collision
Jam51

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball moving with a speed of 3.0 m/s hits, elastically, an identical stationary ball. If the first ball moves away with angle 30° to the original path, determine:

a. the speed of the first ball after the collision.

b. the speed and direction of the second ball after the collision.

Homework Equations

px = p'x (momentum conservation in the x direction)
v1x = v1'cosθ + v2'cosθ

piy = pfy (momentum conservation in the y direction)
0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ

Ki = Kf (conservation of kinetic energy)
v1^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted solving it in a number of values, but am finding the math challenging and unable to isolate variables. First I attempted to eliminate theta:
v1x = v1'cosθ + v2'cosθ
v1x - v1'cosθ = v2'cosθ ---square--
v1x^2 - v1'^2cos^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ

0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ
-v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2sin^2

add x and y
v1x^2 - v1'^2cos^2θ - v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ + v2'^2sin^2θ
v1x^2 - v1'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ) = v2'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ)
v1^2 - v1'^2 = v2'^2
(v1 - v1')(v1 + v1') = v2'^2

Arranging Energy Conservation, v1^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2 :
v1^2- v1'^2 = v2'^2

I feel like I've done something wrong up until this point because everything I get after just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure what to equate with what.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jam51 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball moving with a speed of 3.0 m/s hits, elastically, an identical stationary ball. If the first ball moves away with angle 30° to the original path, determine:

Homework Equations

v1x = v1'cosθ + v2'cosθ

0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ

v1^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2

I've attempted solving it in a number of values, but am finding the math challenging and unable to isolate variables. First I attempted to eliminate theta:
v1x = v1'cosθ + v2'cosθ
v1x - v1'cosθ = v2'cosθ ---square--

0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ
-v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2sin^2

add x and y
v1x^2 - v1'^2cos^2θ - v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ + v2'^2sin^2θ
v1x^2 - v1'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ) = v2'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ)
v1^2 - v1'^2 = v2'^2

Arranging Energy Conservation, v1^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2 :
v1^2- v1'^2 = v2'^2

I feel like I've done something wrong up until this point because everything I get after just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure what to equate with what.

Help is greatly appreciated!

These types of problems are typically much easier to do by first transforming from the original frame of reference (the lab frame) into the so-called center-of-mass (CM) [or center-of-momentum (COM)] frame, in which the total initial momentum = 0. For identical masses, that means that the initial velocities of balls 1 and 2 are exactly opposite, and their kinetic energies are equal in the CM frame. For a perfectly elastic collision, their individual kinetic energies remain the same after the collision, and the new velocities are exact opposites again. So, if you know the deflection angle of ball 1 in the lab frame, you can set up an equation to determine the deflection angle of ball 1 in the CM frame, so find the final (vector) velocities of balls 1 and 2 in the CM frame. Then you can transform those back into the lab frame.

OK, that method takes a bit more work, than the all-lab-frame method (the one you are using), but it is typically more straightforward.

See. eg., http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newtonhtml/node52.html or
http://vallance.chem.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/Collisions.pdf

Likes Jam51
yes i highly support the CM method, deduction are much more straightforward, and btw the angle on an elastic colision between v2' and v1' when particles have the same mass is 90º, allways you seemed to have figured that out anyway...

But the Cm method is defenitely the best, i don't think it takes more work. the lab frame method has a ton of formulas and deductions.
but yeah your way seems fine
Jam51 said:
this should be (v1x - v1'cosθ)^2 = v2'^2cos^2θ
then you do everything else you have done, add the sine and cosine equations, solve for v2' and then substitute that into the kinectic energy and solve for v1', and everything else is just a matter of substitution now i think.

but i highly recommend understanding and using the CM method, as @Ray Vickson said... it's so much simpler, in my opinion

Likes Jam51
Thank you for your reply. For some reason the prof omitted CM/COM from the course. However, if it makes it easier than I am going to give it a try because what I am doing is not getting me too far.

Thanks for the reference/examples as well!

Wicked, thanks WrongMan. I'm going to correct my math and see if that answers that. But then definitely exploring the CM method!

Right now I am not completely following the CM context - probably because my brain is too tired for new material. However, I tried the math again and it looks ugly, but I am hoping it's on the right track:

(v1 - v1'cosθ)^2 - v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ + v2'^2sin^2θ
v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ + v1'^2cos^2θ - v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ + v2'^2sin^2θ
v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ - v1'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ) = v2'^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ)
v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ - v1'^2 = v2'^2

If v2^2 = v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ - v1'^2

and (v1 - v1')(v1 + v1') = v2'^2

Can I equate them and say:

v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ - v1'^2 = (v1 - v1')(v1 + v1')

?

I'm quite certain I will chuckle once I figure out the other method.

I may have done something wrong again because I have:

v1^2 - 2v1v1'cosθ - v1'^2 = (v1 - v1')(v1 + v1')
- 2v1v1'cosθ = 0

yes, something is wrong, I am trying to see what... might have to bust out the old pen and paper :D

i think I've figured it out... source is way back in your formulas...

Jam51 said:
0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ
its 0 = - v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ
vertical velocity must cancel out

Last edited:
Ok now:
arrange equations so that all v1 coomponents are on the same side, and v2 are on the opposite.
so you get:
(x)=> (V1-V1'cos(θ))^2=V2'^2cos^2(θ) <=> V1^2 -2V1V1'cos(θ) +V1'^cos^2(θ)=V2'^2cos^2(θ)
(y)=> V1'^2sen^2(θ)=V2'^2sen^2(θ)
add them
V1^2 - 2V1V1'cos(θ) + V1'^2cos^2(θ) V1'^2sen^2(θ)= V2'^2cos^2(θ)+V2'^2sen(θ)
solve for v2'
v1^2-2v1v1'cos(θ) +v1'^2 = v2'^2

now its okay, not sure were you messed up

ok your mistake was the one i stated above
that made you commit this one:
Jam51 said:
(v1 - v1'cosθ)^2 - v1'^2sin^2θ = v2'^2cos^2θ + v2'^2sin^2θ
the sign on -v1'^2sin^2(θ) is not a "-"
and bellow you had +v1'^2 and a -v1^2 multiplying with cos and sin respectivly, and you should have felt something was wrong when applying the distributivity property, this mistake could have passed unoticed if you had chosen to use +v1 instead of -v1 bellow so good thing it happened

Jam51 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

v1x = v1'cosθ + v2'cosθ

0 = v1'sinθ + v2'sinθ

v1^2 = v1'^2 + v2'^2

Why did you want to eliminate theta, when it was given as 30°? substitute the values of sinθ and cosθ into your equations. They can be solved easily.
The problem did not state that it was an elastic collision.

ehild said:
The problem did not state that it was an elastic collision.
Jam51 said:

Homework Statement

But it did state that it's elastic. (Easy to miss that.)

SammyS said:
But it did state that it's elastic. (Easy to miss that.)
Oh, I see. But the angles are different. The first equations are not correct. The angle of the first ball is given, but the angle of the second ball is unknown.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Oh, I see. But the angles are different. The first equations are not correct. The angle of the first ball is given, but the angle of the second ball is unknown.
in elastic colisions if particles with the same mass the angle bettween final velocity vectors is 90º degrees is it not?

WrongMan said:
in elastic colisions if particles with the same mass the angle bettween final velocity vectors is 90º degrees is it not?
Yes, but the OP used the same angle for both balls.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes, but the OP used the same angle for both balls.
oh right, i don't know how i missed that... he can find it easly after finding v2' ...

@Jam51: The velocities of the balls enclose different angles with the original direction. It is easy to prove what WrongMan said, that the angles add up to 90° when particles of equal mass collide elastically.

coll.png

You have the following equations:
v1=u1 cosθ +u2 cosΦ
0=u1 sinθ-u2 sin Φ
u12+u22=v12
Square the first two equations, and add them.
v12=(u1 cosθ +u2 cosΦ)2+(u1 sinθ-u2 sin Φ)2 ---> v12=u12+u22+2 u1 u2 (cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ)
Because of conservation of energy, v12=u12+u22, so 2 u1 u2 (cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ) =0. But the term in the parentheses is equal to cos(θ+Φ) =0 so
θ+Φ=90°.

Likes Jam51
@ehild I'm following everything until "But the term in the parentheses is equal to cos(θ+Φ) =0 so θ+Φ=90°." I understand you're proving what was stated in previous posts, which would make Φ = 60°. However, I have no idea how you went from 2 u1 u2 (cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ) =0 to cos(θ+Φ) =0.

Jam51 said:
@ehild I'm following everything until "But the term in the parentheses is equal to cos(θ+Φ) =0 so θ+Φ=90°." I understand you're proving what was stated in previous posts, which would make Φ = 60°. However, I have no idea how you went from 2 u1 u2 (cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ) =0 to cos(θ+Φ) =0.

that is a trig identitiy:
cos(x +/- y) = cos(x)cos(y) +/- sen(x)sen(y)

there is probably a way to deduce it but i don't know it...

We had the equations
v12=u12+u22+2 u1 u2 (cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ) and
v12=u12+u22.
They can be both true if cosθ cosΦ-sinθ sinΦ=0.
The cosine of the sum of two angles can be derived according to the figure:
There are three right triangles, yellow, blue and green. The hypotenuse of the yellow triangle is 1. Those of the blue one and green ones are cosΦ and sinΦ. Cos(θ+Φ) is the length of the red line, which is the difference between the blue line and green line.

addition.png

Likes Jam51
Oh, thank you. It's been a long time since I took any math, which makes application of physics theory at times challenging.
I went back and solved for v2' and v1' using θ = 30 and Φ=60°.
I hope this is ok:
0 = v1' sinθ - v2' sin Φ
0 = v1' sin30 - v2' sin 60
0 = 0.5v1' - 0.866v2'
v2' = 0.5v1' / 0.866

v1 = v1' cosθ + v2' cosΦ
3 = v1' cos30 + (0.5v1' / 0.866)cos60
3 = 0.866v1' + (0.5v1' / 0.866)0.5
3 = 0.999v1'/0.866
v1' = 2.6 m/s

v1'^2 + v2'^2 = v1^2
v2'^2 = 3^2 - 2.6^2 = 1.5 m/s

Does that look right?

Jam51 said:
Oh, thank you. It's been a long time since I took any math, which makes application of physics theory at times challenging.
I went back and solved for v2' and v1' using θ = 30 and Φ=60°.
I hope this is ok:
0 = v1' sinθ - v2' sin Φ
0 = v1' sin30 - v2' sin 60
0 = 0.5v1' - 0.866v2'
v2' = 0.5v1' / 0.866

v1 = v1' cosθ + v2' cosΦ
3 = v1' cos30 + (0.5v1' / 0.866)cos60
3 = 0.866v1' + (0.5v1' / 0.866)0.5
3 = 0.999v1'/0.866
v1' = 2.6 m/s

v1'^2 + v2'^2 = v1^2
v2'^2 = 3^2 - 2.6^2 = 1.5 m/s

Does that look right?
Yeah it looks correct...
just two side notes, you should only substitute for values in the very end, its a good habit to keep, example: for v1' it would look like v1'=3/(cos(θ)+(sen(θ)/tg(Φ)))
and, if the masses were diferent, and you knew them both, you would have 3 unknowns (phi v1' and v2') and 3 equations, and and thus you would be able to solve the problem, using the method we previously discussed in the thread.

Yeah, that makes sense so that I'm not already rounding too before I even get to the answer...

Thanks a lot for all your help!

What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which the total kinetic energy and momentum remain constant. This means that the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy or deforming in any way.

How do you solve 2D elastic collision problems?

To solve 2D elastic collision problems, you can use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations can help you determine the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

What are the key assumptions made in solving 2D elastic collision problems?

The key assumptions made in solving 2D elastic collision problems are that the objects are point masses, there is no external force acting on the objects, and the collision is perfectly elastic with no energy loss.

What is the difference between a 2D elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a 2D elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy, whereas in an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and energy is lost. Additionally, the momentum is conserved in both types of collisions, but the kinetic energy is only conserved in 2D elastic collisions.

What are some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a tennis ball bouncing off a racket, and two bumper cars colliding in an amusement park ride.