1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Equilibrium

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    This is just a problem from my midterm, and I was wondering if I did it correctly

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Weight of block B is 15kN, weight of block A is 25kN. Find force P that has to be applied to keep the system in equilibrium in tension in the cable

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first I figured I'd draw a FBD around block B (FBD1 on the image). I also decided I would use a different axis (x' and y'). From this I was able to write the equilibrium equations:
    [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=3T-15*cos(60)=0, from which T=2.5kN
    (I also wrote the Fy equation, but I won't post it because it serves no real point)

Next, I drew a FBD around block A (FBD2 on the image). I used a different axis once again. And I got:
    [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=-25*cos(60)+P(cos30)+2.5kN=0, from which P=11.55kN

Is that correct? It makes sense in my head, but then again that wouldn't be the first time my gut feeling is wrong.Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

...but this time, your gut feeling is right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?