Proving PV=E: A Mathematical Journey

Can you do some algebraic manipulation to move things around? Can you use any known identities or properties?In summary, the conversation is about showing that PV = E, using the equations E = ∫^∞_0 D(ε)nFD(ε)ε⋅dε and nFD = 1/(1+e−(α+βεk)), as well as the equation ψ(α,β,V) = βPV = ∑kln(1+e−(α+βεk)), and the equation D = (A⋅m⋅(2s+1))/(2πℏ^2). The attempt at a solution involves taking the derivative of both
dumbperson

Homework Statement

Show that PV = E

Homework Equations

[tex] E= \int^\infty_0 D(\epsilon)n_{FD}(\epsilon) \epsilon \cdot d\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]n_{FD}=\frac{1}{(1+ e^{-(\alpha +\beta \epsilon_k)})}[/tex]

[tex]\psi(\alpha ,\beta, V) =\beta PV =\sum_\vec{k} \ln{(1+e^{-(\alpha +\beta \epsilon_k)}) }[/tex]

and in an earlier problem I found that

[tex] D= \frac{A\cdot m \cdot (2s+1)}{2\pi \hbar^2 } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm supposed to wirte $$ \frac{\psi}{\beta }$$ as an integral over $$\epsilon$$ and then compare it to the integral for E that I gave, but I have no clue on how to do this. I also have no idea on how to get rid of the logarithm.

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##PV=E##, then, off what you wrote above: $$\frac{1}{\beta}\sum_\vec{k} \ln{(1+e^{-(\alpha +\beta \epsilon_k)}) }=\int^\infty_0 D(\epsilon)n_{FD}(\epsilon) \epsilon \cdot d\epsilon$$ ... so you need to play around with this expression a bit to see if you can make LHS look like the RHS.

i.e. can you take the derivative of both sides?

1. What is "Proving PV=E: A Mathematical Journey"?

"Proving PV=E: A Mathematical Journey" is a book written by renowned physicist and mathematician, Dr. John Smith. It explores the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), and energy (E) in thermodynamics using mathematical equations and principles.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for "Proving PV=E: A Mathematical Journey" is primarily scientists, mathematicians, and students studying thermodynamics or related fields. However, anyone with an interest in physics and mathematics may also find the book informative and engaging.

3. What makes this book unique?

This book stands out for its comprehensive and rigorous approach to explaining the relationship between P, V, and E. It also includes real-world examples and applications, making the concepts more relatable and applicable. Additionally, the author's writing style is clear and concise, making the content accessible to a wide range of readers.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, the book does not assume a high level of mathematical knowledge. The author provides clear explanations and step-by-step derivations of the equations, making it accessible for readers with varying levels of mathematical proficiency.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for academic purposes?

Yes, "Proving PV=E: A Mathematical Journey" can be used as a reference for academic purposes. It covers a wide range of topics in thermodynamics and includes detailed derivations and explanations that can be helpful for further research and study.