Solving the 2D Heat Equation with FDM and Gauss-Seidel Method

In summary, the problem is to find the solution for a steady-state heat transfer in a 100mx100m plate with dirichlet and neumann boundary conditions using FDM and Gauss-Seidel method. The FDM approximations for U_xx and U_yy were substituted into the given PDE and the temperature was found to linearly vary along the x-axis. However, the answer was not confident and using Gaussian elimination yielded a different answer. The correct solution is uncertain.
strythe

Homework Statement

Given a steady-state heat transfer for a 100mx100m plate, to be discretized to 6 nodes, governed by a heat tranfer equation:

U_xx + U_yy = 0

Given dirichlet boundary conditions: U(0,y)=50, U(100,y) = 100,, neumann boundary: U_y(x,0)=0, U_y(x,100) = 0.

Find the solution using FDM, applying a 5 point laplacian stencil. Use Gauss-Seidel method to solve for the system of equations arising from the FDM approximation. Use 0.01% relative error as stopping criterion.

Homework Equations

U_xx = (U_x-1,y -2U_x,y +U_x+1,y)/(Δx)^2
U_yy = (U_x,y-1 -2U_x,y +U_x,y+1)/(Δy)^2

Assume equal spacing of nodes.
Use Δx=Δy for simplicity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the FDM approximations into the given PDE,

U_x,y = .25*(U_x-1,j + U_x+1,j + U_x,j-1 + U_x,j+1)

I'm not really sure about how I did the Gauss-Seidel part because what I got is that the temperature just linearly varies along X.

U(0,y) = 50
U(20,y) = 60
U(40,y) = 70
U(60,y) = 80
U(80,y) = 90
U(100,y) = 100

I'm not really confident about the answer so I tried using Gaussian elimination and I got a different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
U(0,y) = 50U(20,y) = 55U(40,y) = 65U(60,y) = 75U(80,y) = 85U(100,y) = 100Which of these two answers is correct?

1. What is the 2D heat equation and what does it represent?

The 2D heat equation is a mathematical model used to describe the flow of heat in a two-dimensional space. It represents the change in temperature over time at different points in a 2D region.

2. What is FDM and how is it used in solving the 2D heat equation?

FDM stands for Finite Difference Method, which is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations such as the 2D heat equation. It involves discretizing the continuous domain into a grid and approximating the derivatives using finite differences.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the 2D heat equation and why are they important?

The boundary conditions for the 2D heat equation specify the temperature or heat flux at the edges of the 2D region. They are important because they determine how the heat is transferred across the boundaries and influence the behavior of the solution.

4. What are the advantages of using FDM to solve the 2D heat equation?

One advantage is that FDM is a relatively simple and easy to understand method compared to other numerical techniques. It also allows for a wide range of boundary conditions and can handle complex geometries.

5. What are some practical applications of the 2D heat equation and FDM?

The 2D heat equation and FDM are used in various engineering fields such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and materials science. They can be used to analyze the thermal behavior of buildings, electronic devices, and other systems. They are also used in computer graphics to simulate the flow of heat in 2D objects.