2D Homework Help First Post

In summary: It's good that you figured it out yourself. In short, the horizontal and vertical velocities are almost the same because the motion is described by a single linear equation.
BrownBoi7
Hello Guys,
This is my first post here. I need help on my homework that I have been working on all evening. Basically I am given video data. 10 trials of a plastic ball in projectile motion. I have to use Logger Pro. Four things I need to find out for each trial:
x-velocity
y-velocity
launch velocity from x data
launch velocity from y data

I analyzed the video already.
x velocity will the slope of the linear fit equation. In this case velocity is constant and acceleration is zero.
How do I find y velocity!?
I believe launch velocity will be found out using Pythagoras theorem using the first x-velocity value and y velocity value.

I am very confused about this. Can somebody show me the way?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "y-velocity" mean? Assuming Y denotes the vertical direction, the vertical component of velocity changes all the time, so at what time are you required to find it?

You will need to tell us a lot more about the experiment in the video. Otherwise we have little idea what these mean..

x-velocity
y-velocity
launch velocity from x data
launch velocity from y data

For most projectile motion problems the horizontal velocity (x-velocity ?) is assumed to be constant (eg equal to the x launch velocity) but not always.

The vertical velocity (y-velocity ?) usually varies with time as it's subject to acceleration due to gravity.

One way to calculate the initial vertical velocity might be to measure the height achieved, then apply the standard equations of motion (eg SUVAT equations). However this might be the wrong approach if I've misunderstood the problem.

I was thinking the same thing because the vertical velocity is constantly subject to change. However, I just noticed that each trial I am given as video data is a bit different from the previous one as the launch angle is changing. (0 degrees,10 degrees,20 degrees,30 degrees,40 degrees,50 degrees,60 degrees,70 degrees,80 degrees,90 degrees)

Horizontal velocity will be pretty close to launch velocity in pretty much every trial. So these launch angles must be used to find y-velocity/vertical velocity?

I figured that out myself. One question:

Why horizontal and vertical velocities are almost the same? My vx=1.69 and vy=1.70

Thanks

1. What is "2D Homework Help First Post"?

2D Homework Help First Post is a platform where students can get assistance with their 2D homework. It provides resources, tips, and guidance to help students complete their assignments successfully.

2. How does "2D Homework Help First Post" work?

Students can access the platform through a website or app. They can post their questions or upload their assignments, and a team of experts will provide answers and solutions. The platform also has a database of resources and tutorials for students to use.

3. Is "2D Homework Help First Post" only for 2D subjects?

Yes, the platform is specifically designed for 2D subjects such as geometry, trigonometry, and algebra. However, some resources and tips may also be applicable to other subjects.

4. Is "2D Homework Help First Post" free to use?

Yes, the platform is completely free to use. Students do not need to pay any fees to access the resources or ask for help with their homework.

5. How reliable are the answers and solutions provided on "2D Homework Help First Post"?

The platform has a team of experts who have a strong background in 2D subjects. They thoroughly review and verify all answers and solutions before posting them. However, students are still encouraged to double-check and understand the solutions provided.