Good luck, and let me know if you run into any more problems!

In summary, the homework statement says that the conservation of total momentum is an equation that needs to be solved in order to understand how momentum is distributed. I tried using the COTM to do this, but I was not able to get the equation to work. I think the issue is that I am not dividing the equations correctly.
mpittma1

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/603671_1409914319284787_3441607163537875560_n.jpg

Homework Equations

conservation of total momentum

M1V1+M2V2 = MtotVf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the COTM

as such:

x: M1V1iCOSΘ1+M2V2SINΘ2=MtotVf

y: M1V1iSINΘ1+M2V2COSΘ2=MtotVf

then dividing 1/2:

COTΘ1 + TANΘ2 = 1

Θ2 = TAN-1(1-COTΘ1)

After plugging in the values I am getting Θ2 = -10.85°

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main issue is in setting both the x and y equations equal to ##M_{tot}V_{f}##, since these are only component equations, so neither will equal the entire momentum. Instead, you'll want to use the components of the total momentum, so ##M_{tot}v_{f,x}## and ##M_{tot}v_{f,y}##

jackarms said:
I think the main issue is in setting both the x and y equations equal to ##M_{tot}V_{f}##, since these are only component equations, so neither will equal the entire momentum. Instead, you'll want to use the components of the total momentum, so ##M_{tot}v_{f,x}## and ##M_{tot}v_{f,y}##

I can't see that working because the ending vector is directly along the x-axis, there is no sin or cos involved with that vector.

No, it works. The angle from the vertical will just be 0 degrees, so you'll have something like:

##P_{x} = P_{tot} \cdot cos(0)## and
##P_{y} = P_{tot} \cdot sin(0)##

jackarms said:
No, it works. The angle from the vertical will just be 0 degrees, so you'll have something like:

##P_{x} = P_{tot} \cdot cos(0)## and
##P_{y} = P_{tot} \cdot sin(0)##

so the equation becomes TANΘ1+COTΘ2=0

Θ2=COT-1(-TANθ1)

Θ2= -.025°

Well, you can't divide the equations like that.
$$\frac{a + b}{c + d} \neq \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{d}$$

jackarms said:
Well, you can't divide the equations like that.
$$\frac{a + b}{c + d} \neq \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{d}$$

Ok so before dividing I have

x: M1V1iCOSθ1+M2V2iSINθ2=MtotVfCOS(0)

y: M1V1iSINθ1+M2V2iCOSθ2=MtotVfSIN(0)

look legit?

Yes, that looks good. I think the easiest way to solve would be to move the components with ##M_{1}v_{1}## over, and then you could divide the equations.

Hey there!

$$V_{total} = \sqrt{V_{x}^2+V_{y}^2}$$

and

$$\theta = tan^{-1}(\frac{V_{y}}{V_{x}})$$

These seem to be the only two equations that you are forgetting about. As long as you can solve for both component of your resultant velocities, you should be good!

1. What is a 2D inelastic collision?

A 2D inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which they stick together and move as one object after impact. This means that the kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of it is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 2D inelastic collision?

In a 2D inelastic collision, momentum is conserved in both the x and y directions. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the objects may have different velocities and directions after impact due to the loss of kinetic energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity in a 2D inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocity in a 2D inelastic collision is v = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect a 2D inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is lost during a collision. In a 2D inelastic collision, a higher coefficient of restitution means that more kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in less deformation of the objects and a lower final velocity. A lower coefficient of restitution means that more kinetic energy is lost, resulting in more deformation and a higher final velocity.

5. Can a 2D inelastic collision be perfectly elastic?

No, a 2D inelastic collision cannot be perfectly elastic. This is because inelastic collisions, by definition, involve a loss of kinetic energy. In a perfectly elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.