1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D integral

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1
    Problem:

"Draw a Diagram to show over which area the following integral (see integral in attached file) is integrated."

I drew a little diagram of what I think the area looks like (see diagram). But I am very, very insecure about what I did and would appreciate if anyone could have a look at it and let me know if I did something wrong. That would be really helpful!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

I can't see the attachments yet, perhaps you could give the integral and the area? Try LaTeX :wink:

4. Apr 15, 2006 #3
    [tex] \int {2x^2+y} dxdy [/tex]

and the boundary conditions are

for x: y < x < 2-y

for y: 0 < y < 1

hope that helps

5. Apr 15, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The outer integral is y so first draw to horizontal lines at y= 0 and y= 1 to define the limits for y. Now, for each y, x lies between y= x and x= 2- y which is the same as y= 2- x. However, in your picture you have x running between 0 and x. Move your stripes (indicating the figure) to the triangle formed by y= x, y= 2- x, and y= 0. (0f course, you notice that y= 2- x and y= x cross at y= 1.)

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5
    thanks for this!

I'm not sure whether this second attempt is right, but here is the new diagram anyway (with inverted strips):

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?