Diagramming the Integral: A Visual Guide

In summary, the conversation is about creating a diagram to show the area over which the given integral is integrated. The participants discuss the boundary conditions and how to properly represent them in the diagram. They also provide feedback and suggestions on the original diagram, resulting in a revised version with inverted strips.
mmh37
Problem:

"Draw a Diagram to show over which area the following integral (see integral in attached file) is integrated."

I drew a little diagram of what I think the area looks like (see diagram). But I am very, very insecure about what I did and would appreciate if anyone could have a look at it and let me know if I did something wrong. That would be really helpful!

Attachments

• Integral.jpg
    Integral.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 346
  • diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the attachments yet, perhaps you could give the integral and the area? Try LaTeX :wink:

[tex] \int {2x^2+y} dxdy [/tex]

and the boundary conditions are

for x: y < x < 2-y

for y: 0 < y < 1

hope that helps

The outer integral is y so first draw to horizontal lines at y= 0 and y= 1 to define the limits for y. Now, for each y, x lies between y= x and x= 2- y which is the same as y= 2- x. However, in your picture you have x running between 0 and x. Move your stripes (indicating the figure) to the triangle formed by y= x, y= 2- x, and y= 0. (0f course, you notice that y= 2- x and y= x cross at y= 1.)

thanks for this!

I'm not sure whether this second attempt is right, but here is the new diagram anyway (with inverted strips):

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 382

1. What is diagramming the integral?

Diagramming the integral is a visual method used to represent the area under a curve on a graph. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller sections and using geometric shapes, such as rectangles, to approximate the area.

2. Why is diagramming the integral useful?

Diagramming the integral can help to better understand the concept of integration and visualize how it works. It also allows for easier calculation of the area under a curve by breaking it down into simpler shapes.

3. Can diagramming the integral be used for any type of function?

Yes, diagramming the integral can be used for any continuous function. However, for more complex functions, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease and other methods may be more suitable.

4. Are there any limitations to diagramming the integral?

Diagramming the integral is only an approximation and the accuracy depends on the number of rectangles used and the shape of the function. It may also be more time-consuming for functions with irregular curves or multiple x-intercepts.

5. How can I learn to diagram the integral?

There are various resources available online, such as tutorials and practice problems, that can help you learn how to diagram the integral. Additionally, consulting with a math teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding and mastering this method.