Confinement of Motion in a 2D Isotropic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a 2-d isotropic oscillator with initial conditions x=A, y=4A, dx/dt = 0, dy/dt = 3wA. The equations of motion are solved and the resulting equations for x and y are given. The problem also asks to show that the motion is confined to a box of dimensions 2A and 10A. The book provides a method to determine the type and bounds of the motion based on a discriminant equation. However, the speaker questions the usefulness of this method and wonders if their original equations for x and y are sufficient to describe the motion and show its confinement to a box. They also provide a graph to support their equations.
sporkstorms
I'm given some initial conditions for a 2-d isotropic oscillator:
At t=0: x=A, y=4A, dx/dt = 0, dy/dt = 3wA

Solving the differential equations of motion and using those conditions, I get the following:
[tex]let\ \gamma = tan^{-1}(-3/4)[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = A cos(\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = 5A cos(\omega t + \gamma)[/tex]

The problem then asks to show that the motion is confined to a box of dimensions 2A and 10A. To me this seems inherent just by looking at the amplitudes of x and y, but maybe I'm missing something?

The book (Fowles & Cassiday, 7th ed) goes into this big long spiel to show the confinement of motion. It rewrites y in terms of x, skips a million trig substitutions, and ends up with an equation of the form:
[tex]ax^2 + bxy + cy^2 + dx +ey = f[/tex]

And it says this can tell you, based on the discriminant, whether it's an ellipse, a parabola, or a hyperbola, and what it's bounds are.

So I took my x and y (listed above), put y in terms of x, did some trig substitutions, rearranged, squared both sides, and ended up with:
[tex]x^2 - 8xy + y^2 = 9[/tex]

Now, how does this help me describe the motion any more than my original equations for x and y? And how does this help me to show that the motion is confined to a box of dimensions 2A and 10A any more than the amplitudes of the original equations do?

Or should I ignore that whole part of the book? (probably not, but you never know)

My position equations seem ok since they agree with the IC's, and http://sporkstorms.org/tmp/2Doscillator.png" seems sane, and is clearly between -A,A and -5A,5A (which is what the problem text suggested).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the graph, so you don't have to follow the link:

Attachments

• 2Doscillator.png
    2Doscillator.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 553

1. What is a 2D isotropic oscillator?

A 2D isotropic oscillator is a physical system that has two degrees of freedom and exhibits oscillatory motion in all directions with the same frequency. It can be described mathematically using the two-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential.

2. What are the applications of 2D isotropic oscillators?

2D isotropic oscillators have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model the motion of atoms and molecules, study the behavior of pendulums, and design mechanical systems such as springs and shock absorbers.

3. How is the energy of a 2D isotropic oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of a 2D isotropic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the oscillator also increases. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. What is the difference between a 2D isotropic oscillator and a 3D isotropic oscillator?

The main difference between a 2D isotropic oscillator and a 3D isotropic oscillator is the number of degrees of freedom. A 2D oscillator has two degrees of freedom, while a 3D oscillator has three degrees of freedom. This means that a 3D oscillator can oscillate in all three directions, while a 2D oscillator can only oscillate in two directions.

5. How is the behavior of a 2D isotropic oscillator affected by external forces?

A 2D isotropic oscillator can be affected by external forces, such as friction or a driving force. These forces can change the frequency and amplitude of the oscillator's motion, leading to a change in its energy. The specific effect of external forces on a 2D isotropic oscillator will depend on the nature and strength of the force.