Kinematic Problem: Bullet vs. Block Falling Speed Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a block and a bullet when shot from a powerful gun. The question is posed as to which object, the bullet or the block, would hit the ground first. The conversation then introduces a new problem with floating blocks in space to aid in understanding the concept. The conclusion is that the block would hit the ground first due to its zero x component of velocity.
vikilla

Homework Statement

A large very powerful gun shoots a bullet that easily goes through a block. In the process the block is knocked off the post and falls to the ground. Which hits the ground first, the bullet or the block. Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that the block would fall to the ground faster because it has a zero x component of velocity, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me give you a new problem that might help you see this problem in new light.

2 blocks are floating in space at let's say x= 0m y= 5m (they are separated on the z axis, but they won't change their z coordinates so we can ignore them, but they're not at the same point in space is what I'm getting at). We will use standard 2d coordinates, x is left and right, y is up and down. At some time I hit both blocks and they instantaneously acquire their (constant) velocities. Let's say block A moves with a velocity <5, -1> and block B moves with a velocity <0, -1> which one hits the ground first?

Now, same initial situation, but this time they're going to accelerate. When I hit the blocks block A moves at
<10 , -9.8t> and block B moves at <10 , -10t>. Now which one hit's the ground first?

What is a 2d kinematic problem?

A 2d kinematic problem involves analyzing the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically using equations of motion such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How do you solve a 2d kinematic problem?

To solve a 2d kinematic problem, you must first identify the known and unknown quantities, choose appropriate equations of motion, and then solve for the unknown quantity using algebraic manipulation.

What are some common strategies for solving 2d kinematic problems?

Some common strategies for solving 2d kinematic problems include breaking the problem into components, using vector representation, and using graphical analysis such as velocity-time or displacement-time graphs.

What is the difference between 1d and 2d kinematic problems?

The main difference between 1d and 2d kinematic problems is the number of dimensions involved. 1d kinematic problems only consider motion in a single dimension, while 2d kinematic problems involve motion in two dimensions.

How can 2d kinematic problems be applied in real-world situations?

2d kinematic problems can be applied in real-world situations such as projectile motion, motion of objects on inclined planes, and motion of objects in circular paths. They are also useful in studying the motion of vehicles, projectiles, and other moving objects.