What Angle Should a Sniper Adjust to Hit a Target 1000m Away?

In summary, a sniper would need a muzzle velocity of 1500m/s to hit the target at a 90 degree angle. Thank you for your help!
rogers236

Homework Statement

A sniper barrel is exactly one meter above the ground and perfectly horizontal. 1000m away is a target one meter above the ground. if the bullet leaves the gun with a muzzle velocity of 1500m/s will it reach the target? (no, next part is my problem) at what angle should the sniper shoot to hit the target?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 1000m
[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = 0m
ax = 0
ay = -9.8m/s2 (gravity)
V0x = ?
V0y = ?
time (t) = ?
angle [tex]\theta[/tex] = ?

V0 = 1500m/s

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X = v*t
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = V - V0 = a*t
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X = (1/2)*a*t2 + V0*t
V2 = 2*a*[tex]\Delta[/tex]X - V02

V0x = V0*cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
V0y = V0*sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]

*the first four equations can be used for either the X or Y dimension; [tex]\Delta[/tex]X will just change to [tex]\Delta[/tex]Y

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not looking for the answer, just a point in the right direction please.

For part one of the question, I found that it would take the bullet 2/3 of a second to reach the target in the X dimension. But in that same time, it would fall 2.2m, hitting the ground 322.3m from the target.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply. I checked out that link and then fixed my original post a bit, putting in the equations as I learned them.

rogers236 said:
Thanks for the reply. I checked out that link and then fixed my original post a bit, putting in the equations as I learned them.

Now you need to figure the time it will be in the air as a function of the vertical velocity. Up and down.

Then figure the same time as a function of the horizontal velocity and the known distance. These times of course must be equal, so that begins to put you in position to figure out what angle satisfies both conditions.

I've done that and get:

(-2V0y)/(-9.8) = Time-y
1000/V0x = Time-x

then to

((-9.8)1000)/V0x = -2V0y

((-9.8)1000)/(1500cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]) = -2(1500)sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]

((-9.8)1000) = -2(1500)sin[tex]\Theta[/tex](1500cos[tex]\Theta[/tex])

((-9.8)1000) = (-2)(1500)(1500)sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]

((-9.8)(1000))/((-2)(1500)(1500)) = sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]

0.00217777778 = sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]

Now what?

You might want to recognize the identity

2SinθCosθ = Sin2θ

It's a terrifically useful trig identity that you may run into again with projectile motion equations.

1. How is the angle found in 2D kinematics?

The angle in 2D kinematics is found using the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions involve the ratio of two sides of a right triangle, and can be calculated using the given velocity components in the x and y directions.

2. What is the difference between 2D kinematics and 1D kinematics?

1D kinematics only involves motion in a straight line, whereas 2D kinematics involves motion in two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes. This means that 2D kinematics takes into account both horizontal and vertical motion, while 1D kinematics only considers one direction.

3. How can I find the angle in 2D kinematics if only given the initial and final positions?

If only given the initial and final positions, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle. This function takes the ratio of the vertical and horizontal displacements and returns the angle.

4. Can the angle in 2D kinematics be negative?

Yes, the angle in 2D kinematics can be negative. This typically occurs when the motion is in the negative direction of one of the axes, or when the initial and final positions are in different quadrants of the coordinate plane.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the angle in 2D kinematics?

The angle in 2D kinematics is typically measured in degrees or radians. The unit of measurement used will depend on the specific problem and the preference of the scientist or engineer solving it.