Calculating Initial Speed from 2D Kinematics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a stone thrown horizontally from a height of 6.02m and hitting the ground at a distance of 13.90m. By using equations for motion in both x and y directions, the initial velocity of the stone can be calculated. However, there was a mistake in solving for t using the y component of the equation, resulting in an incorrect answer.
brushman

Homework Statement

A stone thrown horizontally from a height of 6.02m hits the ground at a distance of 13.90m. Calculate the initial speed of the stone. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

1. v = v0 + at
2. x = x0 + (1/2)(v0+v)t
3. x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2
4. v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for t using the y components of equation 3. So
0 = x0y + (1/2)at^2;
a = -g;
x0y = 6.02;

so t = 1.23s

Then using x components of equation 2 I said
v0x = vx;
13.9 = v(1.23);
so v = 11.3 m/s

but that's not the right answer.

Sorry this isn't more clear, I'm in a hurry. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
brushman said:
First I solved for t using the y components of equation 3. So
0 = x0y + (1/2)at^2;
a = -g;
x0y = 6.02;

so t = 1.23s
I don't think this part is right. Double check your calculations. (And don't forget to take the square root before arriving at your final value for t. :wink:)

omg, I swear I went over this problem 100 times and didn't catch that. Thanks.

1. What is 2d kinematics?

2d kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two dimensions. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions.

2. How do you solve a 2d kinematics problem?

To solve a 2d kinematics problem, you need to first identify the given information, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations or the Pythagorean theorem, to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the key concepts in 2d kinematics?

The key concepts in 2d kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and projectile motion. It is also important to understand vector notation and how to break down motion into its x and y components.

4. Can you use calculus in 2d kinematics?

Yes, calculus can be used in 2d kinematics to solve problems involving changing acceleration or non-constant velocity. It can also be used to derive equations of motion for more complex scenarios.

5. How is 2d kinematics applied in real life?

2d kinematics is applied in real life in various fields such as sports, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to analyze the motion of projectiles, vehicles, and celestial objects. It also plays a crucial role in designing roller coasters, bridges, and other structures.