How Far Down Does the Stone Strike the Opposite Building Wall?

In summary: and it worked out, but if the book specified that the stone was being thrown at y=0, and you did -25 degrees in degrees, it would not have worked out.
chudd88
Note: I figured this out. See my follow-up. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Two tall buildings of equal height stand with vertical walls 40m apart. A stone is thrown from the top of one at an angle of 25 degrees below the horizontal and directly at the other building with a velocity of 18 m/s. How far down from the top does it strike the opposite wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Note, first of all, that the picture it shows in my book has the stone coming off the very top of the building. There's no one throwing the stone, so it's being thrown at y=0, where the very top of the building is 0.

I've worked this problem several times, and I keep getting the same (wrong) answer, according to the answers at the end of my book. Here's my process:

25 degrees down, with an initial velocity of 18 m/s means the horizontal component of the velocity is: 18 m/s * cos(-25) = 16.31 m/s

The vertical component is 18 m/s * sin(-25) = -7.607 m/s

So far so good?

The stone will travel 40 m horizontally at 16.31 m/s, which means the time is 40 m / 16.31 m/s = 2.45s

So, with that, I can use my initial vertical velocity of -7.607 m/s, acceleration of -9.81 m/s^s, and time = 2.45s, to calculate the y.

y = (-7.607m/s)*(2.45s) + (1/2)*(-9.81m/s^2)(2.45^2) = -48.08 m

That's not the correct answer, according to my book. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

(The book says the answer is 41.8m, btw)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I figured it out, sort of. It turns out I believe the answer in my book is wrong. Just because I had exhausted all other possibilities I could think of, I hypothesized that maybe the book accidentally used RADIANS instead of DEGREES when calculating the sin and cos values. When I switched my calculator to RADIANS, and ran the same calculations as I stated in my original post, I got the book's answer.

So, unless someone feels using RADIANS is appropriate for this problem (it isn't AFAIK), then I'll just conclude the book's wrong, and my original answer is correct.

regardless of whether degrees or radians are being used, you should come out on top with the same values for the x and y components of initial velocity.

Rake-MC said:
regardless of whether degrees or radians are being used, you should come out on top with the same values for the x and y components of initial velocity.

I don't follow. The initial x velocity is 18 m/s * cos(-25).

In radian measure, cos(-25) = 0.9912
In degree measure, cos(-25) = 0.9063

I was using degree measure in my initial post, and I've concluded that the book was (incorrectly) using radian measure. Maybe I'm wrong, but when radian measure is used, I get the book's answer. (Note, however, that they didn't use radian measure when calculating the sin(-25)).

So, from what I understand, using degrees or radians will completely change my initial x and y velocity components.

Ahh I see, in that case the book is incorrect, however that's not the correct interchange of radians and degrees. If the book specified that it's 25 degrees under horizontal, and you did -25 radians and it worked out, I can't argue that. But degrees and radians are proportional by [tex] \frac{1}{180} [/tex] in that:

[tex] 25^o = \frac{25\pi}{180} [/tex]

As I interpreted it, you had entered the RHS as your value of radians ([tex] \frac{5pi}{36}[/tex])

1. What is 2D kinematics and how is it different from 1D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically in the horizontal and vertical directions. It differs from 1D kinematics, which only considers motion in one dimension. In 2D kinematics, the displacement, velocity, and acceleration are all vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction.

2. What are the main equations used in 2D kinematics?

The main equations used in 2D kinematics are the same as those used in 1D kinematics, but with vector components. These include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. The most commonly used equation is the vector form of the displacement equation, which is r = r0 + v0t + 1/2at2.

3. How do you solve a 2D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem, you must first identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to keep track of the direction of the vectors and use vector addition and subtraction when necessary. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

4. What are some common types of 2D kinematics problems?

Some common types of 2D kinematics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane. Projectile motion involves an object being launched at an angle and following a parabolic path. Circular motion involves an object moving in a circle at a constant speed, while motion on an inclined plane involves an object moving up or down a ramp.

5. How does air resistance affect 2D kinematics?

Air resistance can affect 2D kinematics in various ways. In projectile motion, air resistance can cause the object to deviate from its expected trajectory. In circular motion, air resistance can slow down the object and change its direction. In motion on an inclined plane, air resistance can decrease the object's acceleration and change its speed. In general, air resistance is a form of friction that can act against the motion of an object, and it must be taken into account when solving 2D kinematics problems in the real world.