1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2d Kinematics

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket is launched at an angle of 75 degrees and accelerates at 21.4 m/s^2. Where is the rocket located (from the point of origin) after 11.2 seconds?

2. Relevant equations
    a=(vf - vi) / t

(vf + vi) / 2 = (xf - xi) / t

where: vf = velocity final, vi = velocity initial, xf = displacement final, xi = displacement initial, and of course a = acceleration and t = time

3. The attempt at a solution
    given solution: Xfx = 353.7 m; Xfy = 693.4 m (don’t forget gravity in the y-direction)

ax = 21.4cos75 = 5.54
    vix = vi cos75
    vfx= vi cos75
    xfx = ?
    xix = 0
    t = 11.2

ay = 21.4sin75 = 20.67
    viy = vi sin75
    viy = ?
    xfy = ?
    xiy = 0
    t = 11.2

any one got any Ideas to the path to the solution, and how do i account for gravity? add/subtract?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    I believe your main problem is that you don't have the equation

d = vt + (1/2)at^2 ; where v is initial velocity, t is time, and a is your acceleration.

Once you break the acceleration into it's x and y components, you should be able to get both the x and y distances with the above formula.

Also one thing to note is that the acceleration in the x direction doesn't get effected by gravity, and the acceleration in the y direction is the difference between your original acceleration and gravity. (i.e initial velocity - gravity)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?