2D Moment Equilibrium Question

In summary, the speaker system is suspended by the cables attached at D and E. The tension in the cables hanging from D is -303.05N, while the tension in the cables hanging from E is 0.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

A speaker system is suspended by the cables attached at and . The mass of the speaker system is 92.5kg, and its weight acts at G. Determine the tensions in the cables hanging from (a)D and (b)E .

2Deqm.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]M=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]F=0

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I decided to find reactions at C. I drew the arrows on the diagram, where the horizontal one going to C is Cx and vertical one is Cy. Vertical arrow pointing to A will be further referred to as Ay.
So I got:
Mc=Mcdue to A+Mcdue to G=0
Mcdue to A=92.5*9.81*1.5
Ay * 1 = 1361.14N
Since the moment is positive, Ay has to be pointing downwards
Thus Ay (vector)=-1361.14N. From this, we can find Cy:
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy = -1361.14N+Cy-907.425N=0
so Cy=2269
There are no x-direction forces, so Cx=0

Now that we know reactions at C, we can "cut" the cables (E&D) and find E using moment around D:
MD=+(1.5)*(1361.14)-2269*(.5)-(1)(0) - E*1.5=0
From which E (vector)=-604.81

Then we can use E, to find D:
Sum of Fy = -1361.14+2269-604.81+D=0
D=-303.05

Is that right? Or have I made some wrong assumptions?
Also, I got negative numbers for E and D because they're forces that are acting down. But how would I put in the answer? Tension should be positive 'cause it's just a magnitude, right?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your results look good, however, if you are just looking for the cable tensions, you could have saved yourself some time by just isolating the speaker by cutting the cables E and D, and solved for the tensions without looking at the frame at all. Your negative sign means that the cable forces (tensions) act down , pulling away from the beam, as they must. If you did the FBD of the speaker, the tension values would be positive, i.e., acting up, pulling away from the speaker, as they must.

Great! Thank you, I see what you mean... Next time I'll be sure to use the shorter version :)

What is 2D moment equilibrium?

2D moment equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is in balance, both in terms of forces acting on it and moments (rotational forces) acting on it, in a two-dimensional plane.

How is 2D moment equilibrium calculated?

To calculate 2D moment equilibrium, you must first identify all the external forces acting on the object and their respective distances from a chosen point (usually the point of rotation). Then, using the principle of moments, you can set up an equation to determine if the sum of all the moments is equal to zero, indicating that the object is in equilibrium.

What are some common applications of 2D moment equilibrium?

2D moment equilibrium is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and balance of structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in mechanical systems to ensure the proper functioning and safety of machines and equipment.

What factors can affect 2D moment equilibrium?

The factors that can affect 2D moment equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of external forces, the distance of these forces from the point of rotation, and the properties of the object itself, such as its shape and distribution of mass.

What are some strategies for solving 2D moment equilibrium problems?

Some strategies for solving 2D moment equilibrium problems include drawing a free body diagram to visually represent the forces and distances involved, using the principle of moments to set up an equation, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to check your answer by using the sum of forces equations to ensure that the object is in equilibrium in both the horizontal and vertical directions.