1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Momentum Problem

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The stoplight had just changed and a 2000 kg Cadillac had entered the intersection, heading north at 3.0 m/s, when it was struck by a 1000 kg eastbound Volkswagen. The cars struck together and slid to a half, leaving skid marks angled 35 degrees north of east. How fast was the Volkswagen going just before the impact?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So basically what I did was divided into components.

x: (3)(2000) = (3000)*v_x
    y: (v_vw)*(10000) = (3000)*v_y

v_x, v_y is the velocity (after collision) in the x and y direction, respectively, of both cars stuck together (since it is an inelastic collision).
    v_vw is the initial velocity of the Volkswagen.

Now what I did was that the angle is 35 degrees north of east. So basically made a triangle and figured that tan(35) = (v_y)/(v_x). This means (v_x)*(tan35) = v_y.

Then, I simplified the component equations to get:
    x: 2 = v_x
    y: v_vw = 3*v_y

Then plugging in for v_y, I got: v_vw = 3(2)(tan35) = 4.2 m/s as the velocity of the volkswagen.

However, the answer key says 8.6 m/s. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What directions you call x and y?

ehild

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks!!

I got it now, I should have drawn a reference frame with the axis or maybe I should have used the actual coordinate axis.

tan 35 = (v_x)/(v_y)
    (v_y) = (v_x)/tan35

v_vw = 3*v_y = 3*2/tan35 = 6/tan35 = 8.6

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook