1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D motion question

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble with this problem, I thought I knew how to solve it but can't get what is listed as the correct answer in the key.

An airplane starting from airport A flies 300 km east, then 410 km at 25.5° west of north, and then 150 km north to arrive finally at airport B.
    The next day, a pilot flies directly from A to B in a straight line, what is the distance of this flight?

I was able to find the correct angle, 77.89 degrees north of east, and I tried to use the Pythagorean theorem with the X and Y components to find the length of the resultant, but the website (it's a webassign.net problem for a class) keeps telling me I have the wrong answer. Any insights on what I'm doing wrong? The two answers I keep coming up with are 371.17 km and 333.94 km.

thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

You have the wrong E and N components ...
    the N component by itself is over 500 km (150 + almost 400).
    Show your work!

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    You can do this graphically. Make a drawing to scale, use a protractor also. Then you can tell where your errors lie.

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4
    Thanks for your advice, I reworked it and found the correct components. I had gotten a little thrown by the "west of north" angle and made a mess of some negative signs when doing the trig.
    Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?