Calculating Displacement, Velocity & Acceleration of a Bicyclist

In summary: that would be the angle between the displacement and the average velocity, or the angle between the average velocity and the displacement.
intenzxboi

Homework Statement

At one instant a bicyclist is 37 m due east of a park's flagpole, going due south with a speed of 14 m/s. Then, 37 s later, the cyclist is 37 m due north of the flagpole, going due east with a speed of 14 m/s. what are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the displacement, the (c) magnitude and (d) direction of the average velocity, and the (e) magnitude and (f) direction of the average acceleration? (Give all directions as positive angles relative to due east, where positive is measured going counterclockwise.)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) root (37^2 + 37^2) = 52.33

B) tan-1 (37/37)= 45 so 135 degrees

can someone tell me how to calculate the other questions??

Physics news on Phys.org
How are average velocity and acceleration defined?

so basically for velocity is displacement/time
and acceleration is change in velocity/time

so for the magnitude of the velocity would it be 52.33/37
direction is the same??

how would i calculate the magnitude of the acceleration??

k i manage to find velocity and acceleration

are the angles the same for the direction of velocity and acceleration?

intenzxboi said:
so basically for velocity is displacement/time
and acceleration is change in velocity/time

so for the magnitude of the velocity would it be 52.33/37
direction is the same??
Yes, that's the average velocity. It's in the same direction as the displacement, since we're just dividing displacement by 37 seconds to get the average velocity.

intenzxboi said:
k i manage to find velocity and acceleration

are the angles the same for the direction of velocity and acceleration?
No. The average acceleration is calculated using the change in velocities, which go from due south (initially) to due east. That's different than the displacement, which started out due east and ended up being due north.

since its going south and east at the same velocity wouldn't the angle be tan-1 (14/14)

so is the angle -135?

I'm assuming an angle of 0 means due east here, and +90 degrees is due north ... please correct me if I'm wrong.

since its going south and east at the same velocity wouldn't the angle be tan-1 (14/14)
Yes.
so is the angle -135?
That's not the only angle whose tangent is 14/14 ...

1. How do you calculate displacement of a bicyclist?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and final position of the bicyclist. Subtract the initial position from the final position to get the displacement.

2. What is the formula for calculating velocity of a bicyclist?

The formula for velocity is displacement divided by time. So, if you know the displacement and the time it took to travel that distance, you can calculate the velocity.

3. How is acceleration calculated for a bicyclist?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can you calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a bicyclist at any given point?

Yes, as long as you have the necessary information such as the initial and final positions, time intervals, and velocity at different points, you can calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a bicyclist at any given point.

5. How can knowing the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a bicyclist be useful?

Knowing these values can help in analyzing the performance and efficiency of the bicyclist. It can also be useful in determining the best route for a race or identifying areas for improvement in training. Additionally, this information can be used to compare the performance of different bicyclists or track progress over time.