Converting 2D Movies to 3D: How is It Done?

In summary, they are re-releasing Titanic in 3D. It requires multiple camera angles to make the conversion, and it is possible to do a decent job of it.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
How do they convert movies that were shot in 2D to 3D? I recently saw that they were rereleasing Titanic in 3D... Doesn't this require multiple camera angles? or is it more like doing a 'cutout' of the actors and placing them on a Z-Plane? The other method I can think of is recreating the sets in 3D and texture mapping the movie on to them.. but that seems like it would be an impossible amount of work to do well..

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidSnider said:
How do they convert movies that were shot in 2D to 3D? I recently saw that they were rereleasing Titanic in 3D... Doesn't this require multiple camera angles? or is it more like doing a 'cutout' of the actors and placing them on a Z-Plane? The other method I can think of is recreating the sets in 3D and texture mapping the movie on to them.. but that seems like it would be an impossible amount of work to do well..

A little better than just doing cutouts and pasting them in a Z-plane, since, with some geometry and a good computer, they can texture map the movie into an expected terrain the same as for 3D animations.

How well that works depends on how much effort and money they put into it. The worst look like the old Viewmaster slides and leave you feeling ripped off at having spent extra money. Some do a pretty decent job of it, even if the movie doesn't look as good as a movie that was actually shot in 3D, such as Avatar.

I was just wondering this myself, since I saw an ad for the re-release of Titanic in 3d. I was wondering whether they originally shot it in stereo and just held on to the master film until technology could catch up. Probably not though.

This is the same question I had about my copy of Bladerunner in HD. lol

And the news about Titanic in 3В are they true? It was my favorite movie in my childhood! Only the end disappoints me greatly and any time I hope the tragedy will not happen and Leo will stay alive. Will it be shown in cinemas? Still no any official information how they will do it only our assumptions but you say that's possible to do so I prefer to believe you and I will wait forward to a new version of the movie :)

Converting 2D movies to 3D is a complex process that involves several techniques and technologies. The specific method used can vary depending on the movie and the desired outcome.

One common technique is called "depth map conversion." This involves analyzing the original 2D movie to create a depth map, which is essentially a grayscale image that assigns different shades of gray to objects based on their distance from the camera. This depth map is then used to create a 3D version of the movie, with objects at different depths appearing to have different levels of depth and dimensionality.

Another method is called "rotoscoping," which involves manually tracing the outlines of objects and characters in the movie and then placing them on different layers in a 3D environment. This can be a time-consuming process, but it allows for more control over the final result.

In the case of Titanic, it is likely that a combination of these techniques was used. The original footage was likely analyzed to create a depth map, and then certain scenes or shots were manually rotoscoped to add more depth and dimension.

It is also possible that some scenes were recreated in 3D using computer-generated imagery (CGI) and then overlaid with the original footage. This would allow for more control over the final 3D effect and could be used for scenes with complex backgrounds or special effects.

In any case, converting a 2D movie to 3D does require a significant amount of work and expertise. It is not as simple as placing a "cutout" of actors on a Z-plane, as this would not accurately capture the depth and dimensionality of the original footage. However, with advancements in technology, this process has become more efficient and the results can be quite impressive.

1. How does converting 2D movies to 3D work?

The process of converting 2D movies to 3D involves using specialized software to add depth and dimension to the original 2D footage. This is done by separating the 2D image into two different perspectives, simulating the way our eyes see, and then adding depth by layering the two perspectives on top of each other.

2. Is converting 2D movies to 3D a difficult process?

Converting 2D movies to 3D can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for live-action films. It requires skilled technicians and advanced software to achieve a high-quality conversion. However, with advancements in technology, the process has become more streamlined and efficient.

3. What types of movies can be converted from 2D to 3D?

Most movies can be converted from 2D to 3D, including animated films, live-action movies, and even older films that were originally shot in 2D. However, the success of the conversion depends on the quality of the original footage and the skill of the technicians performing the conversion.

4. Are there any drawbacks to converting 2D movies to 3D?

One potential drawback of converting 2D movies to 3D is the possibility of visual distortions or artifacts. This can occur if the conversion process is not done properly or if the original footage is of low quality. Additionally, some viewers may experience discomfort or headaches while watching 3D movies.

5. Can any TV or device play 3D movies?

No, not all TVs and devices are capable of playing 3D movies. In order to view 3D content, you need a TV or device that is specifically designed for 3D viewing and has the necessary hardware and software. Additionally, you may also need to wear special 3D glasses to fully experience the 3D effect.