Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Null Geodesic Solution

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    I am interested in solving the null geodesic between two points in the presence of a gravitational mass, assuming that everything takes place in 2 dimensions (i.e., no Z coordinate). The following is known:

-x and y coordinates of first point
    -x and y coordinates of second point
    -x and y coordinates of gravitational mass
    -mass of gravitational body

I need an equation describing the curve of the null geodesic. The purpose of this is for use in a basic computer simulation I'm toying around with, so a basic function with the above variables for input would be very helpful - integrals and derivatives, not so much.

So I am hoping for a solution relating x and y in a 2D flat plane (since that's easiest to represent on a computer screen)

Is there a simple solution that can work in the general case, given the above inputs (or at least an approximation, up to only a few orders in x or y)? If the solution is not so simple (i.e., integrals and derivatives), is there at least just one solution that I could solve with not too much effort?

I hope I've provided enough to describe my problem - feel free to ask more if I haven't.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

You need a time coordinate, because gravity curves spacetime. After you have time, and the metric (line element), set the line element to zero for a null geodesic. Maybe you need some other steps too, but it's roughly like this.

The null geodesics (photon orbits) of the Schwarzshild solution can be found in Woodhouse's notes: http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/~nwoodh/gr/ [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook