How can I model an agent's movement in a liquid using 2D physics?

In summary: It's not really homework, I just started doing it for fun. I'm looking for a article or a tutorial on how to do it in a computer. There might not be one, but I'll look. In summary, the author is looking for an article on how to model an agent moving in a liquid, and is unsure of how to go about it.
wumpus
Firstly, this is not homework - it's a project I have started our of sheer curiosity.

I have searched quite at length, but cannot really find anything that suits my problem. I want to model this on a computer and would like to implement it myself as I would like to understand the mathematics behind it rather than just using someone else's work.

I want to model (only in 2D for now) an agent moving in a liquid. The agent may have flippers to propel it or move in a snake-like fashion (which I think, is basically flippers without a body). Is there any article that discusses the movement of the agent in such an environment.

In a thought experiment I started with the following:

1. In a vacuum, the agent can flip all it wants, it will not move.
2. On top of solid (say a floor), the agent's movement pushing against the floor will push against the solid and all the force will result in acting against gravity and moving forward (depending on the angle).

I guess I need something in between these two cases, so I suspect I need some way to model the viscosity of the liquid. How do I do that?

The modelling does not have to be mathematically perfect - even a close approximation will be great. Any good articles? ...or a point in a direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
How complicated do you want to make it? Do you really want to simulate the fluid dynamics (flows induced within the fluid by the agent)? That is a complex area in itself. When dealing with moving objects, you should look into meshless CFD methods.

If you just want a simple model, you can assume the agent doesn't induce fluid flows. Then you treat parts of the agent as objects that have certain lift/drag characteristics, and compute the individual forces on them, based on their relative movement to the fluid.

As simple as possible, without losing too much accuracy. I am quite happy to ignore the fluid dynamics for now. However, I am a bit stuck on the physics itself (to my embarrassment).

Assume we have a simple agent which resembles an arrow. The lines of the array head are flippers which can move up and down, swiveling at the top of the arrow. Now, let's say the agent is moving its right flipper downward, applying some downward force F (remember the swiveling). The liquid will exert some opposite force (which would be less than F) due to resistance of the hypothetical liquid (caused by its viscosity - can I model the viscosity as simple resistance?) Anyway, as the flipper moves, the components of the force will change. At any point in time, I will have to measure this force and translate it to acceleration for the agent (using the well known a=F/m).

However, I am not sure how I should model the angular velocity/acceleration and how this, in turn should translate to forward movement of the agent.

I assume I have to find some centre of gravity here as well (which I can do).

Please help, my physics has become so rusted.

Very simple model:

Define some reference point on the flipper (at the center or at 70% length), compute the fluid velocity relative that point (for static fluid its is the negative velocity of that point), take only the component perpendicular to the flipper to get the force direction. The magnitude of the force is proportional to the squared relative fluid velocity and some factor that accounts for the flipper size and fluid properties.

Better model:

Divide your flipper or propulsion tail into small sub parts and do the above for all of them. Then add the force vectors.

Ok? I get some of that...

Please allow me to rephrase. Remember I want to model these in a computer environment.

Let's say I have the two flippers (like in the above model) and that the fish is a bit brain-damaged and disabled so that the two flippers are not necessarily in sync nor are they the same size.

I will end up with two forces in two different directions. From these forces, how do I calculate the angular acceleration around the centre of gravity (which changes as the flippers move) and the actual direction the centre of gravity is moving towards?

Secondly, I assume I need to calculate some cross product as well as the distance of the force from the centre of gravity will also play a big role. It makes sense to me that it will cause greater spin on the fish?

Then again what about centrifugal force? That must be a factor as well?

1. What is 2D physics modelling?

2D physics modelling is the process of using mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior and interactions of objects in a two-dimensional space, such as a computer screen or a flat surface. It is often used in video games, animation, and engineering to create realistic and accurate simulations.

2. How does 2D physics modelling differ from 3D physics modelling?

The main difference between 2D and 3D physics modelling is the number of dimensions in which the simulation takes place. In 2D modelling, objects are confined to a flat plane and can only move in two directions (x and y axes), while in 3D modelling, objects can move in three directions (x, y, and z axes). This means that 2D modelling is simpler and less computationally intensive, but it also has limitations in accurately representing real-world physics.

3. What are some common applications of 2D physics modelling?

2D physics modelling has a wide range of applications, including video game development, animation, virtual reality, and engineering simulations. It is often used to create realistic movement, collisions, and interactions between objects in a virtual environment.

4. What are the key components of 2D physics modelling?

The key components of 2D physics modelling include mathematical equations and algorithms that govern the behavior of objects, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principle of conservation of energy. Other important components include collision detection techniques, friction and gravity calculations, and the use of forces and constraints to simulate realistic movement.

5. How can 2D physics modelling be useful in scientific research?

2D physics modelling can be a valuable tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as biomechanics, materials science, and fluid dynamics. It allows researchers to simulate and study complex systems and phenomena in a controlled and reproducible environment, providing insights and understanding that may not be possible through traditional experimentation alone.