1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D projectile motion

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    g'day everyone,

First of all, i would like to thank everyone on this site. You lot have helped me a lot with my homework over the last couple of weeks. anyway to the question.

A golf ball is struck at ground level. The speed of the ball as a function of the time is attached, where t = 0 at the instant the ball is struck.

A) how far does the ball travel horizontally before returning to the ground level?

B) what is the max height above the ground level attained by the ball?

2. Relevant equations

A)
    x-x0 = (v0cos theta)t

B)
    y-y0 = (v0sin theta)t - 1/2gt^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck on this question. i dont know were to start. were not given theta or the final x position or the y value. im sure the answer to this question is in the graph and i am just not reading it properly.

from the graph i have established that the ball is in the air for 5 sec. and that the initial velocity is 31m/s. however this isnt enough information to work out the questions. any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

• Q9.jpg
      Q9.jpg
      File size:
      6.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi tmay! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You know y - y0 and v0 and t, so θ = … ? :smile:

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    thankyou tiny - tim.

i now know how to get the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook