1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Projectile Motion

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    A ball is tossed from an upper story window of a building. It has an initial velocity of 8.00 m/s at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal. How long does it take the ball to reach a point 10.0m below the level of launching.

I tried using the equation
    yf=vi(sin(theta))-.5gt^2
    Which I simplified to
    (yf-vi(sin(theta)))/.5g = t^2
    Then
    (10-8(sin(20)))/(4.91) =t^2
    Finally t=1.23, however my book says I should be getting 1.18s, what am I doing incorrectly?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2
    Your equation is missing a "t" in the term containing the initial velocity.
    The general form should be
    [tex]y=y_0+v_{y0}t+1/2gt^2[/tex]

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    Would that mean that I need to solve the equation using the quadratic formula?

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

You are missing a 't' after the [itex] v_o\sin\theta [/itex] term. After you have this, rearrange your equation into the form [itex] at^2 + bt +c = 0 [/itex] and use methods of solving quadratics.

6. Sep 10, 2012 #5
    Yes.

7. Sep 10, 2012 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Check the sign convention. If g is negative in the downward direction then yf -yo and vi*sin(theta) should be negative in the downward direction.

8. Sep 10, 2012 #7
    Got it, thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook