1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D reciprocal lattice vectors

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Si(001) has the following lattice vectors in a (2x1) reconstruction [tex] \vec{a'_1} = \vec{a_1} + \vec{a_2} [/tex] [tex] \vec{a'_2} = -0.5 \vec{a_1} + 0.5 \vec{a_2} [/tex]

Calculate the reciprocal lattice vectors of the reconstructed unit cell, [itex] \vec{b'_1} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{b'_2} [/itex] in terms of [itex] \vec{a_1} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{a_2} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I have been using the formulae for finding reciprocal lattice vectors in 3D, i.e

[tex] \vec{b'_1} = 2 π \frac{(\vec{a'_2} ×\vec{a'_3})}{\vec{a'_1}. (\vec{a'_2} × \vec{a'_3})}[/tex]

and the usual permutations for the other 2 reciprocal vectors

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I'm trying to do this for a 2D lattice I'm running into problems. If I treat [itex] \vec{a'_3} [/itex] as simply being the z unit vector, then i find the numerator to be [itex] \vec{b'_1} = 2π (0.5 \vec{a_1} - 0.5 \vec{a_2}) [/itex] is this correct for the numerator?? (it's orthogonal to [itex] \vec{a'_2} [/itex] as I was expecting)

however, using this method I find the denominator to be zero since,

[tex] \vec{a'_1}. (\vec{a'_2} × \vec{a'_3}) = (\vec{a_1} + \vec{a_2}) . (0.5\vec{a_1} - 0.5\vec{a_2} ) [/tex]

and this dot product equals zero.

What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get [itex] \vec{b'_1} = 2π (0.5 \vec{a_1} + 0.5 \vec{a_2}) [/itex]

And permuting the terms in the triple product try (a1' x a2')°a3'; but the cross product is parallel to a3' (which is OK, 'cause it is a dot product), and a3' is a unit vector so the volume is just |a1' x a2'|= area of the parallelogram with sides a1', a2'.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Hi, thanks for the reply. You're right, I evaluated the numerator incorrectly.

I still don't understand the significance of the denominator. Why do I get zero? Would permuting the triple product to the form you suggest give a different answer?
    Quite confused as to what this should be.

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It gives the same answer: I just shifted the form to make the result obvious, and simple to compute. Your product a2' x a3' is incorrect ... same error as with b1.

The magnitude is 1.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5
    oh of course :) thank you! All makes sense now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted