How Can I Calculate Reciprocal Lattice Vectors for a 2D Lattice?

In summary, Si(001) has the following lattice vectors in a (2x1) reconstruction: \vec{a'_1} = \vec{a_1} + \vec{a_2} \vec{a'_2} = -0.5 \vec{a_1} + 0.5 \vec{a_2} and calculates the reciprocal lattice vectors of the reconstructed unit cell in terms of \vec{a_1} and \vec{a_2}.
jonesj314

Homework Statement

Si(001) has the following lattice vectors in a (2x1) reconstruction [tex] \vec{a'_1} = \vec{a_1} + \vec{a_2} [/tex] [tex] \vec{a'_2} = -0.5 \vec{a_1} + 0.5 \vec{a_2} [/tex]

Calculate the reciprocal lattice vectors of the reconstructed unit cell, [itex] \vec{b'_1} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{b'_2} [/itex] in terms of [itex] \vec{a_1} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{a_2} [/itex].

Homework Equations

I have been using the formulae for finding reciprocal lattice vectors in 3D, i.e

[tex] \vec{b'_1} = 2 π \frac{(\vec{a'_2} ×\vec{a'_3})}{\vec{a'_1}. (\vec{a'_2} × \vec{a'_3})}[/tex]

and the usual permutations for the other 2 reciprocal vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm trying to do this for a 2D lattice I'm running into problems. If I treat [itex] \vec{a'_3} [/itex] as simply being the z unit vector, then i find the numerator to be [itex] \vec{b'_1} = 2π (0.5 \vec{a_1} - 0.5 \vec{a_2}) [/itex] is this correct for the numerator?? (it's orthogonal to [itex] \vec{a'_2} [/itex] as I was expecting)

however, using this method I find the denominator to be zero since,

[tex] \vec{a'_1}. (\vec{a'_2} × \vec{a'_3}) = (\vec{a_1} + \vec{a_2}) . (0.5\vec{a_1} - 0.5\vec{a_2} ) [/tex]

and this dot product equals zero.

What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get [itex] \vec{b'_1} = 2π (0.5 \vec{a_1} + 0.5 \vec{a_2}) [/itex]

And permuting the terms in the triple product try (a1' x a2')°a3'; but the cross product is parallel to a3' (which is OK, 'cause it is a dot product), and a3' is a unit vector so the volume is just |a1' x a2'|= area of the parallelogram with sides a1', a2'.

Likes Tiantian
Hi, thanks for the reply. You're right, I evaluated the numerator incorrectly.

I still don't understand the significance of the denominator. Why do I get zero? Would permuting the triple product to the form you suggest give a different answer?
Quite confused as to what this should be.

It gives the same answer: I just shifted the form to make the result obvious, and simple to compute. Your product a2' x a3' is incorrect ... same error as with b1.

The magnitude is 1.

Likes 1 person
oh of course :) thank you! All makes sense now

1. What is a 2D reciprocal lattice vector?

A 2D reciprocal lattice vector is a vector used to describe the periodicity or repeating patterns in a 2D crystal lattice structure. It is the Fourier transform of the real space lattice and is used to understand the diffraction patterns produced by the crystal.

2. How are 2D reciprocal lattice vectors calculated?

2D reciprocal lattice vectors can be calculated by taking the cross product of the two basis vectors of the real space lattice, dividing by the determinant of the basis vectors, and then multiplying by 2π. This process can also be represented by using the inverse of the matrix formed by the basis vectors.

3. What is the significance of 2D reciprocal lattice vectors in crystallography?

2D reciprocal lattice vectors are important in crystallography because they help us understand the symmetry and diffraction patterns of crystals. By analyzing the reciprocal lattice, we can determine the crystal structure and the arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice.

4. How do 2D reciprocal lattice vectors relate to Bragg's law?

Bragg's law states that for a diffraction peak to occur, the condition of constructive interference must be met between the incoming X-ray beam and the atomic planes in the crystal. The 2D reciprocal lattice vectors determine the spacing between these atomic planes, which is crucial in determining the angles at which diffraction peaks occur in a crystal.

5. Can 2D reciprocal lattice vectors be used in other fields of science?

Yes, 2D reciprocal lattice vectors are not only used in crystallography but also in other fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. They are used to study the properties of various materials, such as their electrical and magnetic properties, and to understand their atomic arrangements and crystal structures.