2d to 3d plane projection

• Thread starter jash7205
  • Start date
hi,

so this is actually for a program i'm writing, but it's definitely more of a math question than a programming question. basically, i have an object that gets detected by a webcam attached to a computer. the object is just a piece of paper with a pattern on it, so it is, for the purpose of the program, a 2D plane. from the webcam i am able to obtain 2d coordinates of the four corners of the pattern. also, i know the 3d dimensions of the plane (length, width, etc).

the goal is to somehow get 3d coordinates, which i will use to find the orientation of the pattern, from that information. i spent hours searching the web, but haven't really found anything helpful (there was a lot of info on 3d to 2d projections, which is the opposite of what i want). does anyone know of any way of going about this? is there any necessary data that is missing?

thanks for your help,
-j

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Wikipedia has an entry for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_projection with further sites to look at the specific subitems. Maybe you can even use the picture there which illustrates your situation quite well. Just put a 3D coordinate system in it, and then you can determine the linear projection ##Px=y## by solving for ##P## given the four points ##x## and parts of ##y##.