Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2d to 3d plane projection

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    hi,

so this is actually for a program i'm writing, but it's definitely more of a math question than a programming question. basically, i have an object that gets detected by a webcam attached to a computer. the object is just a piece of paper with a pattern on it, so it is, for the purpose of the program, a 2D plane. from the webcam i am able to obtain 2d coordinates of the four corners of the pattern. also, i know the 3d dimensions of the plane (length, width, etc).

the goal is to somehow get 3d coordinates, which i will use to find the orientation of the pattern, from that information. i spent hours searching the web, but haven't really found anything helpful (there was a lot of info on 3d to 2d projections, which is the opposite of what i want). does anyone know of any way of going about this? is there any necessary data that is missing?

thanks for your help,
    -j

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted