Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2KVA transformer how do I determine the max. safe primary current.

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1
    If I have 2KVA transformer how do I determine the max. safe primary current.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2005 #2
    By the gauge of the wire.

4. Jun 25, 2005 #3
    Ability to transfer heat away from the area is also a factor, since core temperatures are only estimated along with standard heatsinking practises to give ratings.
    The rating you are using should be based upon continuous duty if that is the duty cycle you expect can occur.

Heat causes two serious runaway effects: increase in impedance (generating more heat), and breakdown of insulating materials or flexing of coils and breakage or shorting. It is important to operate the transformer in ranges appropriate for the cooling capabilities and environmental temperature expected.

Both types of failures should be considered for safety:
    (1) open circuit failure, with accompanying changes in loads/voltages on other components,
    (2) short circuit failures, both across primary and between coils. Each could have its own consequences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?