1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2Na + 3S -> Na2 + S3^2-

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    2Na + 3S --> Na2 + S3^2-

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I have the equation 2Na + 3S --> Na2 + S3^2- (the 2- being the charge of S3)
    This is the reaction generated in a sodium-sulfur battery.
    And all's good there, I can see there are two electrons transferred in the reaction and I know it's a redox reaction. However when I handed in my draft for this piece of assessment, I got it back with the comment that this reaction didn't look 'right'.

The task at hand is to summarise an article (Mine being on Electric Cars) and then write four 'focus' questions and model answers. So the reaction is taken straight from the article and I just don't see how it isn't right.

Thanks for any help clearing this up, I plan to ask my teacher tomorrow, so I'll keep this updated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Or change Na2 to 2Na+...

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It could well not look right because that is not everyday chemistry - you will have seen it works in quite hairy conditions not to be reproduced in a school laboratory.

I don't know anything but looking at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium–sulfur_battery and the book extract it looks like it's a mix of polysulfides all the way down and even further than S32- so, as they say it's a bit of a convention to fix on S32-. I expect you can get some S22- and S2-, perhaps they are not wanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted