2nd (and last) probl. - threshold temperature for intermediate vector boson Z?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of the intermediate vector boson Z and its relationship to the mass of a proton. It also includes calculations for the threshold temperature of Z and the time it took for the particle to cease to exist after the Big Bang. The conversation also mentions the speed of light and Boltzmann's constant. The main point is to find a formula for these calculations.
Linda
Did that make any sense at all?

The problem goes, and I do my best to translate from Enlish from Swedish:

The mass of the intermediate vector boson Z is 97,1 times the mass of a protone, whos energy "at rest" is 938 MeV.
a) Calculate the threshold temperature of Z.
b) Calculate how long, after Big Bang, it took before this particle seazed to exist.

c = speed of light, and k = Boltzmanns constant = 1,38 * 10^-23 JL^-1

I hope this made some sense to someone. Please suggest a formula, I have no idea what to do!

Thanks a million,

Linda, Sweden

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Not too hard. Neglecting numerical factors, an order-of-magnitude estimate is
(mass of Z) * c^2 = (energy needed to produce a Z) = k * T
From where, you can get T. Caveat: by what mechanism do you want to produce the Z? You may have to pair produce, in which case the result doubles.
b) Once you have the temperature from (a) and some model of cooling after the BB, it shouldn't be too difficult. The Z is unstable by nature with a very small lifetime so as soon as the temperature drops below the Z threshold, the Z can be said to vanish.

Thanks Zefram,
for helping me, I managed to solve it after! :smile:
Linda, Sweden

1. What is the threshold temperature for the intermediate vector boson Z?

The threshold temperature for the intermediate vector boson Z refers to the temperature at which the particle is able to exist in a stable state. This temperature is estimated to be around 100 GeV, which is equivalent to about 10^15 Kelvin.

2. Why is the threshold temperature important for the intermediate vector boson Z?

The threshold temperature is important because it signifies a phase transition in the universe, where the electroweak force is unified with the strong nuclear force. This allows for the existence of the intermediate vector boson Z, which is a crucial component in the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How is the threshold temperature determined for the intermediate vector boson Z?

The threshold temperature is determined through theoretical calculations and experimental observations. Scientists use mathematical models and data from particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider to estimate the temperature at which the electroweak symmetry is broken, leading to the existence of the intermediate vector boson Z.

4. Can the threshold temperature change for the intermediate vector boson Z?

Yes, the threshold temperature for the intermediate vector boson Z can change depending on the conditions of the universe. Some theories suggest that the threshold temperature may have been higher in the early universe, leading to a different state of matter and different physical laws.

5. What are the implications of the threshold temperature for the intermediate vector boson Z?

The existence of the intermediate vector boson Z at the threshold temperature has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental forces. It helps explain how particles acquire mass and how the electroweak and strong nuclear forces are unified at high energies. It also provides evidence for the Big Bang theory and the evolution of the universe.

Back