Applying 2nd Kirchhoff's Law in Electrical Circuits - Homework Practice

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: The 2nd Kirchhoff's law is quite elaborate! I never would understand the ideia, the principle, the fundament, the dynamical of the thing if I hadn't watched the caltech's...
Jhenrique

Homework Statement

Apply the 2nd Kirchhoff's law in:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70441&stc=1&d=1402248289.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##V_1 = V_3 + V_5 + V_2##

##V_7 = V_4 + V_5##

##0 = V_2 + V_4 + V_6##

##V_1 + V_7 = V_3 + V_6##

All right!?

Attachments

• asd.PNG
    asd.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 585
Physics news on Phys.org
No, not all right. You have to chose a direction for the Voltage drops V2, V3, etc. and then be consistent with that choice through out the equations. Some of the terms will inevitably end up with a minus sign attached to them.

Also, Application of Kirchhoff's 2nd to that circuit produces only three independent equations. You wrote down four equations. Even after fixing the signs one of those equations will be useless. Correct but useless.

hmm... if v1 > v7 so this scheme is correct:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70442&stc=1&d=1402253759.png

and if v1 < v7 so this scheme is valid:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70443&stc=1&d=1402253759.png

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 455
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 437
OR

for v1 > v7 the correct is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70448&stc=1&d=1402257086.png

and v1 < v7 is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70449&stc=1&d=1402257086.png

?

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 445
  • 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 406
Don't waste time trying to guess the direction of the currents. Just chose one that seems reasonable. If you make a mistake somewhere, it is a self correcting mistake because the solution for those currents that were chosen in the wrong direction will turn out to be negative numbers indicating that the current is in the opposite direction.

dauto said:
Don't waste time trying to guess the direction of the currents. Just chose one that seems reasonable. If you make a mistake somewhere, it is a self correcting mistake because the solution for those currents that were chosen in the wrong direction will turn out to be negative numbers indicating that the current is in the opposite direction.

Ok... so why the my equations in the 1st post are wrong?

Dear Jhenrique
for writeing KVL equation at first you should define the direction of current or voltage of each element.it depends on you how you can assume the element voltage or current sign or direction.for example i set the voltage sign in this form
5433016700_1402290090.png

now for first loop we write KVL
-V1+V2+V5-V3=0
and for third loop we have
-V7-V4+V5=0

above equations were an example of setting voltage signs.after set the voltage sing and write KVL equation you should solve them.i assume that we find V5=2 and V3=-1 so the circuit could be same as this
7415916400_1402290457.png

or combine the sign of voltage that specified and the sign of voltage that you obtain. redraw the circuit like this
2507908400_1402290458.jpg

Last edited:
baby_1 said:
Dear Jhenrique
for writeing KVL equation at first you should define the direction of current or voltage of each element.it depends on you how you can assume the element voltage or current sign or direction.for example i set the voltage sign in this form
5433016700_1402290090.png

now for first loop we write KVL
-V1+V2+V5-V3=0
and for third loop we have
-V7-V4+V5=0

above equations were an example of setting voltage signs.after set the voltage sing and write KVL equation you should solve them.i assume that we find V5=2 and V3=-1 so the circuit could be same as this
7415916400_1402290457.png

or combine the sign of voltage that specified and the sign of voltage that you obtain. redraw the circuit like this
2507908400_1402290458.jpg

Your approach is very interesting!

Jhenrique said:
Ok... so why the my equations in the 1st post are wrong?

I said don't waste time guessing the direction of the currents. Just chose one. Your 1st post is wrong because you didn't chose a direction

dauto said:
I said don't waste time guessing the direction of the currents. Just chose one. Your 1st post is wrong because you didn't chose a direction

I found another way more easy of solve it (my ideia isn't solve the problem, is understand the dynamical of the electrical circuit)

if I apply the hydraulic analogy like this video:

and the superpostion theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_theorem

together with KVL
##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{s} = 0##

in this case:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70470&stc=1&d=1402348364.png

and choose a mesh and a sense of circulation, so the "ramps" (source or resistor) would have positive voltage and the declivities correspond to negative voltage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jhenrique said:
I found another way more easy of solve it (my ideia isn't solve the problem, is understand the dynamical of the electrical circuit)

if I apply the hydraulic analogy like this video:

and the superpostion theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_theorem

together with KVL
##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{s} = 0##

in this case:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70470&stc=1&d=1402348364.png

and choose a mesh and a sense of circulation, so the "ramps" (source or resistor) would have positive voltage and the declivities correspond to negative voltage!

Yes, that's the way to solve the problem. Guess what you will get out of it. Yes, you get Kirchhoffs' laws. No kidding...

Last edited by a moderator:
dauto said:
Yes, that's the way to solve the problem. Guess what you will get out of it. Yes, you get Kirchhoffs' laws. No kidding...

The 2nd Kirchhoff's law is quite elaborate! I never would understand the ideia, the principle, the fundament, the dynamical of the thing if I hadn't watched the caltech's video...

1. What is the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law?

The 2nd Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in an electrical circuit is equal to zero.

2. How is the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law applied in electrical circuits?

To apply the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law in electrical circuits, you need to identify all the voltage sources and resistors in the circuit. Then, using KVL, you can write an equation by summing up all the voltage drops and setting it equal to zero. This equation can be solved to find the unknown voltages or currents in the circuit.

3. Can the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law be applied in any type of circuit?

Yes, the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law can be applied in any type of circuit, whether it is a series, parallel, or a combination of both. It can also be applied in more complex circuits with multiple loops.

4. Is it necessary to use the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law in every circuit analysis?

No, the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law is not necessary in every circuit analysis. It is only necessary when the circuit includes multiple loops or when the unknown quantities cannot be determined using other circuit analysis methods.

5. Can the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law be used in AC circuits?

Yes, the 2nd Kirchhoff's Law can be used in both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the voltage sources and resistors are represented by complex numbers, and the sum of voltages in a closed loop is equal to the complex conjugate of zero.