Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd law of thermodynamics

1. Dec 17, 2006 #1
    According to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, a spontaneous process will occur (or rather: is very likely to occur) if [tex] \Delta S > 0[/tex].

A chemical process occurs if [tex] \Delta G < 0[/tex], where [tex] G = H - TS[/tex].

H = -100 kJ
    T = 1 K
    S = -10 kJ/K
    so [tex] \Delta G = - 190 kJ[/tex]. In this example, [tex] \Delta G < 0[/tex] but [tex] \Delta S < 0[/tex].
    Doesn't this contradict the 2nd law?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see an S_{1} and an S_{2} so how did you compute \Delta S ?

4. Dec 17, 2006 #3
    Okay, then
    [tex] \Delta H = -100 \mbox{kJ}[/tex]
    [tex] T = 1 \mbox{K}[/tex] and
    [tex] \Delta S = -10 \mbox{kJ/K}[/tex]
    because [tex] \Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S[/tex] where T is constant.
  5. Dec 17, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If H changes, then that means that the system is not left to itself but is externally acted upon. So we are not dealing with a spontaneous process.
  6. Dec 17, 2006 #5
    If [tex] \Delta H < 0 [/tex], then enthalpy is released from the system to the surroundings. It would make sense, if I had to add enthalpy ([tex] \Delta H > 0, \qquad H = U + pV [/tex]) and the entropy decreased, but that's not true according to the Gibbs energy.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  7. Dec 17, 2006 #6
    If the system is isolated, a spontaneous process will increase its entropy. The Universe is an isolated system in itself, so entropy is always increasing.
    But if there is a variation in entalpy (a decrease) at constant temperature T, for sure your system is not isolated. The environment is absorbing such energy, increasing its entropy in a greater extent than the entropy lost by the system (the variation, in absolute value, of the entalpy is grater than that of the entropy, as variation og G is negative). So the universe, the system and the environment, experiments an increase in entropy. This is the result of the second law. No contradiction at all.
  8. Dec 17, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No of course not. Take water. You extract enthalpy (you cool it). It freezes, and its entropy decreases...
  9. Dec 18, 2006 #8
    I get it, thanks! [tex] \Delta S_{total} > 0[/tex], even though [tex] \Delta S_{sys} < 0[/tex], because [tex] \Delta H_{sys} < 0 [/tex] according to the Gibbs energy and the conditions for a spontaneous process.

Is it possible to calculate the [tex] \Delta S_{surroundings} [/tex], if I know the [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex]? I mean, is there any proportionality between those two variables?
  10. Dec 18, 2006 #9
    Yes, but the [tex] \Delta S_{total} > 0[/tex], because the surroundings get warmer.
    (Or did I get this wrong?)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  11. Dec 18, 2006 #10
    If my memory is still readable, I would say that [tex] \Delta S_{surroundings} [/tex] is equal to [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex] if volume is constant (more generally, if there is no work performed of PV type). Then [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex] is the thermal energy transferred.
    If there is work performed, then enthalpy is not equal to Q, the heat.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?