Why is the change in entropy of a heat pump in one cycle equal to zero?

In summary, the change in entropy for a heat pump in one cycle is zero because the working fluid returns to its original state after each cycle. The hot reservoir experiences an entropy gain while the cold reservoir experiences an entropy loss, resulting in a greater overall entropy change for the hot reservoir. This is due to the fact that a heat pump removes heat from a cold reservoir and adds a greater amount to a hot reservoir, according to the second law of thermodynamics. This applies to both heat engines and heat pumps, with overall entropy generation occurring in an irreversible engine.
yecko
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A closed-cycle heat pump is used to move heat from a low-temp reservoir to a high-temp reservoir with fixed temperatureTH= 450 K andTC= 320 K. If the coefficient of performance of the heat pump is less thanthat of an ideal heat pump, which of the following statements is true regarding the change in the entropies? (see image attached)
Relevant Equations
S always >= 0, where S=0 only in ideal case.
for hot reservoir, delta S = negative
for cold reservoir, deta S = positive
UGmLd7b.png

as it is not ideal,
total change of entropy > 0
entropy loss of hot reservoir > entropy gain of cold reservoir

why would the change in entropy of the heat pump in one cycle equals to zero?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
yecko said:
entropy loss of hot reservoir > entropy gain of cold reservoir
The hot reservoir does not experience an entropy loss. It receives heat in this process, so its entropy increases. And the cold reservoir does no experience an entropy gain. It loses heat in this process, so its entropy decreases.

so the entropy loss of hot reservoir < entropy gain of cold reservoir?
but why the answer is B?
also, why entropy of the heat pump unchange?
thank you

yecko said:
so the entropy loss of hot reservoir < entropy gain of cold reservoir?
but why the answer is B?
also, why entropy of the heat pump unchange?
thank you
No. The entropy gain of the hot reservoir is greater than the entropy loss of the cold reservoir.

The entropy of the heat pump (i.e., the working fluid) is zero for a cycle because entropy is a physical property of the working fluid (i.e., the state of the working fluid), and, in a cycle, the working fluid returns to its original state after each cycle.

Chestermiller said:
No. The entropy gain of the hot reservoir is greater than the entropy loss of the cold reservoir.
why would that so?
isn't when it is not ideal, the energy loss is always larger than energy gain?

With a heat pump, you are removing heat from a cold reservoir and adding a greater amount of heat to a hot reservoir. That is what a heat pump does.

Chestermiller said:

The entropy of the heat pump (i.e., the working fluid) is zero for a cycle because entropy is a physical property of the working fluid (i.e., the state of the working fluid), and, in a cycle, the working fluid returns to its original state after each cycle.
What about the hot and cold tanks, don't they return to their original state after each cycle, hence their change of entropy is also zero?

Delta2 said:
What about the hot and cold tanks, don't they return to their original state after each cycle, hence their change of entropy is also zero?
No. They don’t experience a cycle. Typically, you are taking heat from outside air (the cold reservoir), adding work, and pumping heat into the house air (the hot reservoir).

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:

But why for the magnitude of entropy change is greater for hot reservoir than cold reservoir?

yecko said:
But why for the magnitude of entropy change is greater for hot reservoir than cold reservoir?
The sum of the two is greater than zero.

why not magnitude of entropy change is greater for cold reservoir than hot reservoir?

Likes Delta2
yecko said:
why not magnitude of entropy change is greater for cold reservoir than hot reservoir?
Like I said, the sum of the changes has to be greater than zero.

@Chestermiller can you restate your opinion at post #8 cause the way it is now I can't make sense, one of the reservoirs has to be the cold one, and we need to have mechanical work in the system if we going to transfer heat from the cold reservoir to the hot reservoir.

Delta2 said:
@Chestermiller can you restate your opinion at post #8 cause the way it is now I can't make sense, one of the reservoirs has to be the cold one, and we need to have mechanical work in the system if we going to transfer heat from the cold reservoir to the hot reservoir.
I don't understand what you are asking.

Chestermiller said:
nvm I figure it out myself, apparently you mean that the outside air is the cold reservoir.

So do you mean with 2nd law of thermodynamics, the entropy gain always greater than entropy loss, no matter it is heat engine (hot reservoir gain>cold reservoir loss) or heat pump (hot reservoir loss<cold reservoir gain)?

yecko said:
So do you mean with 2nd law of thermodynamics, the entropy gain always greater than entropy loss, no matter it is heat engine (hot reservoir gain>cold reservoir loss) or heat pump (hot reservoir loss<cold reservoir gain)?
Yes, for an irreversible engine, there is overall entropy generation.

Chestermiller said:
In post #8, you accidentally referred to the hot reservoir twice and made no mention of a cold reservoir.

vela said:
In post #8, you accidentally referred to the hot reservoir twice and made no mention of a cold reservoir.
Thanks. No wonder everyone was so confused. I have corrected it.

What is the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In simpler terms, it means that energy will always tend to disperse and become more evenly distributed, leading to a loss of usable energy.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness within a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the degree of energy that is unavailable for work. The 2nd Law states that entropy will always increase over time, as energy disperses and becomes less concentrated.

How does the 2nd Law apply to everyday life?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it explains why a cup of hot coffee will eventually cool down in a colder room, why an ice cube will melt in a warm drink, and why machines and engines eventually wear out and become less efficient.

Can the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. While it may seem like some processes go against the 2nd Law, they are actually following it on a larger scale. For example, a refrigerator may seem to create order by keeping food cold, but it is actually using energy to transfer heat from a colder area to a warmer one, ultimately increasing the overall entropy of the system.

How does the 2nd Law relate to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. The 2nd Law complements this by explaining how energy will naturally tend to disperse and become less concentrated over time. Together, these laws provide a complete understanding of energy and its behavior within a closed system.