2nd order DE: finding particular solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a differential equation with a sinusoidal forcing function. The student attempted to solve it using a table and the method of variation of parameters, but struggled due to the complexity of the resulting equations. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using Green's functions as an alternative method. Eventually, the student was able to successfully solve the problem using variation of parameters.
zyferion

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the following differential equation:
y" + 3y' + 2y = sin ex

Homework Equations

y = yh + yp

homogeneous solution: (found by solving characteristic eq)
yh = Ae-2x + Be^-x

The Attempt at a Solution

from my table if r(x) = ksin(wx)
then choice for yp = Kcos(wx) + Msin(wx)

i tried using y_p = Kcos(ex) + Msin(ex)
and found y' and y" using chain and product rule but it ended up messy and i couldn't cancel things out in the end.
if you've come across something like this please help me find the general form?
[

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem doesn't have a typo in it? That forcing function isn't typical of homework problems.

Blegh don't read off of a table. If the inhomogeneous problem was on that table you could have just as well guessed the solution immediately. I'm pretty sure this can be done via Green's functions or variation of parameters or whatever it's called, as it's the tool you turn to when you can't guess easily.

snipez90 said:
Blegh don't read off of a table. If the inhomogeneous problem was on that table you could have just as well guessed the solution immediately. I'm pretty sure this can be done via Green's functions or variation of parameters or whatever it's called, as it's the tool you turn to when you can't guess easily.

yeah i got it now, i used variation of parameters. For some reason i got stuck using "general form" thinking.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its first and second derivatives. It is written in the form of y'' = f(x,y'), where y' represents the first derivative of y with respect to x, and y'' represents the second derivative.

2. What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies both the equation itself and any initial conditions given. It is often denoted as y_p and is used to find the general solution of a differential equation.

3. How do I find the particular solution of a second order differential equation?

To find the particular solution of a second order differential equation, you need to first solve the equation to find the general solution. Then, you can use the given initial conditions to find the specific values of the constants in the general solution, giving you the particular solution.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a solution to a differential equation that contains an arbitrary constant, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the equation and any given initial conditions. The general solution represents all possible solutions, while the particular solution is a single solution.

5. What are initial conditions and why are they important in finding a particular solution?

Initial conditions are values given for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point. They are important in finding a particular solution because they narrow down the possible solutions from the general solution to a specific one that satisfies the given conditions.