Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Order De Solution

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    I am familiar with how to solve a second order, non-homogenous DE with constants, i.e.

[tex]\frac {\partial^2X(t)}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial X(t)}{\partial t} = C[/tex]

by first solving the homogenous eqn, then setting the equation equal to a constant, yielding a sol'n of

[tex]X(t)= Ae^{0}+ Be^{-t}+ C[/tex]

But how does one solve a 2nd order equation that also has another t variable in it, such as:

[tex]\frac {\partial^2X(t)}{\partial t^2} + \frac{1}{t} \frac{\partial X(t)}{\partial t} = C[/tex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    First of all, you only seem to have one independent variable, so it may suitable to express your equation as

[tex]\frac{d^2 X(t)}{dt^2} + \frac{1}{t} \frac{d X(t)}{dt} = C[/tex]

(note total derivative, not partial). Also, since no X(t) appears outside a derivative, you effectively have a first order equation, namely

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt} + \frac{p}{t} = C [/tex]

[tex]p(t) = \frac{dX(t)}{dt} [/tex]

Now, any first order equation of the form

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + s(x) y + r(x) = 0 [/tex]

has the solution

[tex]y(x) = -e^{-\int s(x) dx} \int r(x) e^{\int s(x) dx} dx [/tex]

(just differentiate this and you'll see it works) Hence you can solve for p(t), and then for X(t).
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Ah, that's a very nice way of framing the equation, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?