Solving 2nd Order Differential Equation with Initial Conditions

In summary: Someone else might have the same question and they will benefit from your thread.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a second-order linear differential equation and initial conditions. The poster asks for confirmation that their solution is correct and if there is a simpler method to solve the problem. Another user confirms that the solution is correct but points out a mistake in applying the boundary conditions. The conversation also addresses the issue of deleting posts and the importance of maintaining readable threads for future reference.
iRaid
Mod note: Reinstated problem after poster deleted it.

Homework Statement

Just wondering if I did this correctly: ##y''+4y'+4y=e^{x}## and initial conditions ##y(0)=0; y'(0)=1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the characteristic equation to be ##r^{2}+4r+4=0## so r=-2 and the general solution is then: ##y_{g}=c_{1}e^{-2x}-c_{2}xe^{-2x}## and particular solution: ##y_{p}=Ae^{x}## and obviously the first and second derivatives are going to be the same thing. So plugging the particular solution into the problem: ##Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}=e^{x}##, so ##A=\frac{1}{9}##.

Now ##y=y_{g}+y_{p}## Which is: ##y=c_{1}e^{-2x}+c_{2}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}##. Finally taking initial conditions y(0)=0 y'(0)=1 I get: $$y=\frac{-1}{9}e^{-2x}+\frac{-7}{9}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

Just wondering if I did this correctly: ##y''+4y'+4y=e^{x}## and initial conditions ##y(0)=0; y'(0)=1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the characteristic equation to be ##r^{2}+4r+4=0## so r=-2 and the general solution is then: ##y_{g}=c_{1}e^{-2x}-c_{2}xe^{-2x}## and particular solution: ##y_{p}=Ae^{x}## and obviously the first and second derivatives are going to be the same thing. So plugging the particular solution into the problem: ##Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}=e^{x}##, so ##A=\frac{1}{9}##.

Now ##y=y_{g}+y_{p}## Which is: ##y=c_{1}e^{-2x}+c_{2}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}##. Finally taking initial conditions y(0)=0 y'(0)=1 I get: $$y=\frac{-1}{9}e^{-2x}+\frac{-7}{9}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}$$

You can check these things yourself. Substitute your solution into the DE and conditions you are given. That's what the checkers you enlisted will do. I agree that y satisfies the DE and that y(0)=0. I don't think y'(0)=1.

Dick said:
You can check these things yourself. Substitute your solution into the DE and conditions you are given. That's what the checkers you enlisted will do. I agree that y satisfies that DE and the y(0)=0. I don't think y'(0)=1.

I'm not so much concerned with the answer, I want to know if I'm doing the work correctly and whether or not there's a simpler way to solve it.

iRaid said:
I'm not so much concerned with the answer, I want to know if I'm doing the work correctly and whether or not there's a simpler way to solve it.

You are doing it correctly and I don't think there's simpler way. You just goofed up a little in solving for c1 and c2 in applying the boundary conditions.

Dick said:
You are doing it correctly and I don't think there's simpler way. You just goofed up a little in solving for c1 and c2 in applying the boundary conditions.

OK that's all I was wondering thanks.

iRaid said:
done thanks

Now why did you delete the OP? Part of the use of Physics Forums is to provide a resource for people to look up past solutions and get some hints for their own problem. Deleting parts of threads makes them unreadable. That's, in part, why I quoted you. That makes the deletion doubly pointless.

iRaid, For the reason that Dick gave, please don't delete your post just because you got an answer.

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and independent variables. It can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

What is the process for solving a 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions?

The process for solving a 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions involves finding a particular solution that satisfies both the equation and the given initial conditions. This can be done by using various techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of undetermined coefficients.

What are initial conditions in a 2nd order differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point or interval. They are used to determine the particular solution of a 2nd order differential equation.

What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equations?

A homogeneous 2nd order differential equation has a zero on the right side of the equation, while a non-homogeneous equation has a non-zero term on the right side. The solutions for homogeneous equations are easier to find, while non-homogeneous equations require additional techniques to find the particular solution.

Can a 2nd order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a 2nd order equation contains two arbitrary constants, which can lead to different particular solutions depending on the initial conditions.