1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Order DE

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Mod note: Reinstated problem after poster deleted it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just wondering if I did this correctly: ##y''+4y'+4y=e^{x}## and initial conditions ##y(0)=0; y'(0)=1##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I found the characteristic equation to be ##r^{2}+4r+4=0## so r=-2 and the general solution is then: ##y_{g}=c_{1}e^{-2x}-c_{2}xe^{-2x}## and particular solution: ##y_{p}=Ae^{x}## and obviously the first and second derivatives are going to be the same thing. So plugging the particular solution into the problem: ##Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}+4Ae^{x}=e^{x}##, so ##A=\frac{1}{9}##.

Now ##y=y_{g}+y_{p}## Which is: ##y=c_{1}e^{-2x}+c_{2}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}##. Finally taking initial conditions y(0)=0 y'(0)=1 I get: $$y=\frac{-1}{9}e^{-2x}+\frac{-7}{9}xe^{-2x}+\frac{1}{9}e^{x}$$

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can check these things yourself. Substitute your solution into the DE and conditions you are given. That's what the checkers you enlisted will do. I agree that y satisfies the DE and that y(0)=0. I don't think y'(0)=1.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    I'm not so much concerned with the answer, I want to know if I'm doing the work correctly and whether or not there's a simpler way to solve it.

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing it correctly and I don't think there's simpler way. You just goofed up a little in solving for c1 and c2 in applying the boundary conditions.

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    OK that's all I was wondering thanks.

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now why did you delete the OP? Part of the use of Physics Forums is to provide a resource for people to look up past solutions and get some hints for their own problem. Deleting parts of threads makes them unreadable. That's, in part, why I quoted you. That makes the deletion doubly pointless.

8. Nov 21, 2013 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

iRaid, For the reason that Dick gave, please don't delete your post just because you got an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted