Solving a Second Order Differential Equation with Complex Roots

• Thread starter gonch76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary, the general solution of the equation (d^2 u)/(dx^2 ) - 4 * du/dx + 13u = 〖27e〗^2x can be expressed as: y(x)= u(x)+ z(x) where y(x)= 3 * e^2x + e^(2x ).
gonch76
I have put down the whole question and my answers which i would appreciate if someone could comment:
Part 1.1
Find the general solution of the equation (d^2 z)/(dx^2 ) - 4 * dz/dx + 13z = 0
Put into form: a * m^2 + b * m + c
∴ m^2 - 4m + 13 = 0 a = 1, b = -4, c = 13
Then:
m_(1,2 = (-b±√(b^2-4ac))/2a)
∴m= (-(-4)±√(〖(-4)〗^2-(4*1*13)))/(2*1)
∴m= (4±√(16-52))/2
∴m= (4±√((-36)))/2
∴m= (4±6j)/2
∴m= (2 (2 ±3j))/2 Note: the 2’s cancel
Then
e^(∝x )* (Acos (βx)+ Bsin (βx) )
∝ =2
β=3
∴ z(x)= e^(2x )* (Acos (3x)+ Bsin (3x) )

Part 1.2
Find the particular solution of the form u(x)= C* e^2x
for the differential equation (d^2 u)/(dx^2 ) - 4 * du/dx + 13u = 〖27e〗^2x
∴u(x)= C* e^2x du/dx=C* 〖2e〗^2x (d^2 u)/(dx^2 )=C* 〖4* e〗^2x Note: 27 is ignored as it is a constant
Then replace:
∴ C*4* e^2x + (- 4) * C * 〖2e〗^2x + 13 * C * e^2x=〖27e〗^2x
∴ C*e^2x * (4 + (-8) + 13)=〖27e〗^2x Note: e^2x cancel out
∴ C*9=27 ∴ C=27/9 = 3
Substituting ‘C’ into the equation gives:
∴ u(x)= 3 * e^2x

Part 1.3
Find the general solution of the differential equation (d^2 u)/(dx^2 ) - 4 * du/dx + 13u = 〖27e〗^2x
General solution when the equation is equal to zero + the particular solution = general solution when equation equals the same value as the particular.

The general solution can be expressed as: y(x)= u(x)+ z(x)
∴y(x)= 3 * e^2x + e^(2x )* (Acos (3x)+ Bsin (3x) )

Note: I believe that the above equation ((d^2 u)/(dx^2 ) - 4 * du/dx + 13u = 〖27e〗^2x) is meant to be dy/dx, not du/dx.

any comments gratefully received.. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. (I didn't check your calculations really closely, so it's possible there's an algebra mistake lurking in there.)

correct.
and you should stick to only y(x), z(x), or u(x) in the ODE if it stays the same ;)

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the general form of a 2nd order differential equation?

The general form of a 2nd order differential equation is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and p(x), q(x), and g(x) are functions of x.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

The method for solving a 2nd order differential equation depends on its type. For linear equations, the general solution can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. Nonlinear equations may require numerical or approximate methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

4. What are the boundary conditions for a 2nd order differential equation?

Boundary conditions are additional information that is needed to determine a unique solution to a differential equation. For a 2nd order differential equation, two boundary conditions are required, typically specified at the endpoints of the interval where the solution is being sought.

5. In what real-life situations can 2nd order differential equations be applied?

2nd order differential equations can be used to model a wide range of phenomena, including motion of objects under the influence of forces, population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in control theory and signal processing.