2nd order differential equation

In summary: Summary: The conversation discusses a non-linear second order differential equation and its properties. The goal is to find a solution to the equation on the interval [0,1] with a given initial condition. The question also involves finding the properties of the equation and discussing its convergence. The conversation ends with a request for further clarification on the problem.
alphy
Hi,

When I was younger, a teacher of mine gave me
this problem for training:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.chopin/pbX_en.htm

This was a test for the admission to a well known
french Engineering School. What was interesting was that
the test contains a question that was unsolved at the
time this examination was given. If someone has the solution,
I'm very interested to know it.

Summary: the goal is to find a solution of
xy''+2y' +x/y=0 defined on [0,1] such that y(1)=e where e is a
given real number. For that purpose one sets g_0=e and
g_{n+1} = e+T(1/g_n) where
T(f)(x) = (1/x-1)\int_0^x t^2f(t)dt + \int_x^1 (t-t^2)f(t)dt

g_{2p} converges to g and g_{2p+1} converges to G. The open
question is to show that g=G ...

Any idea is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't pretend to understand what this is all about, but make the following query/observations:

1)Is it correct to note that this is a non-linear DE in that the power (-1) of 1/y disqualifies it as linear.

2)It appears to be a second order DE in that y'' is the highest order derivative present. As such, is it not correct that 2 initial conditions are required for solution? The author provides y(1) = e which is one initial condition.

The rest makes little sense to me, no disrespect intended.

ichiro

Last edited:
You are correct that this is a non-linear second order differential equation. In general it is not possible to find a closed form solutionto such a problem and, in these questions, we are not asked to solve the equation but to find some properties of the equation. The last part asks for a graph of [all] solutions that satisfy y(1)= e. There are, of course, an infinite number of such solutions.

[tex] xy'' + 2y'+ \frac{x}{y}= 0\quad[/tex] can be rewritten as [tex]\quad y'' +2 \frac{y'}{x}+ y^{-1}=0[/tex]
Here is how I think the query reads:
[tex]xy''+2y'+\frac{x}{y}=0\mbox{ defined on } [0,1] \mbox{ such that } y(1)=e[/tex]
where e is a given real number. For that purpose one sets
[tex]g_0=e \mbox{ and }g_{n+1}=e+T(\frac{1}{g_n})\mbox{ where }T[f(x)]=(\frac{1}{x-1})\int_0^xt^2f(t)\;\mathrm{dt}[/tex]
[tex]+\int _x^1(t-t^2)f(t)\;\mathrm{ dt}[/tex]

[tex]g_{2p}[/tex] converges to g and [tex] g_{2p+1} [/tex] converges to G. The open question is to show that g=G...

So, if one agrees with the way I have written the orginal query and recognizes the elaborate T[ransform?] function for [tex]g_{n+1}[/tex] ,
why not illuminate the rest of us as the the thrust of this problem?

Last edited:

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model systems that involve changes in time or space.

2. How is a 2nd order differential equation different from a 1st order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation involves the second derivative of a function, while a 1st order differential equation only involves the first derivative. This means that a 2nd order differential equation has a higher degree of complexity and may require more information to solve.

3. What are some applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations are commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics to model systems such as oscillations, vibrations, and population growth. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of electric circuits and mechanical systems.

4. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

The general method for solving a 2nd order differential equation involves finding the general solution, which includes two arbitrary constants, and then using initial conditions or boundary conditions to find a particular solution. Specific techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients, may also be used depending on the form of the equation.

5. Can a 2nd order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution includes two arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to produce different solutions. Additionally, certain equations may have multiple particular solutions that satisfy different initial or boundary conditions.