Solving a 2nd Order Inhomogeneous ODE with Specific Boundary Conditions

In summary: You can definitely use integration by parts to solve this differential equation. However, in order to do so, you need to first take out the c from each of the integrals.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

What's the general procedure for solving an i.v. b.v. ode of the form

(d^2 T(x))/ (d x^2) = -c * e^T(x)

T(+/-1) = 0
T'(0) = 0

where c is a constant

Homework Equations

i know from ode class that problems like this can usually be evaluated as

T'' + k^2*T = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

whats throwing me off is the e^T(x)

can i make a substitution like. T(x) = ln(y(x))

and solve

(d^2 ln(y(x))/ (d x^2) + c * y = 0

and ln(y)'' + sqrt(c)^2 * y = 0

thanks

and solve for y? or is this a violation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are talking about are linear differential equations but the equation you give is NOT linear. It is not just a matter of being "non-homogenous". For a non-homogeneous equation, the function on the right side (the one that is not multiplied by y or any of its derivatives) must be a function of the independent variable only.

You certainly could make the substitution y= eT, but I don't see how you would then solve (ln y)"- cy= 0. That's just as badly non-linear.

This is my suggestion: let v= dT/dx. Then d2T/dx2= dv/dx= (dv/dT)(dT/dx)= v(dv/dt) so the equation becomes v(dv/dt)= -ceT which is easily integrable: (1/2)v2= -ceT+ C1.

Now we have [itex]v= dx/dt= \sqrt{2(C_1- ce^T)}[/itex]] so that [itex]v= \int \sqrt{2(C- ce^T)}+ C_2[/itex].

You might have trouble actually integrating that, but that is the basic idea.

ok, i see your point about the nonliniarity.

in solving the last integral

[tex] \frac {dx}{dt} = \sqrt{2(C_1 - ce^T)} [/tex]

did u replace the constant [tex] C_1 = 2*c*C_o [/tex] ?

since when u integrate, don't u have to take the c out of the integral since it is a constant? This has actually been a huge source of confusion for me.

[tex] 2\int {ce^T dT} = 2c \int {e^T dt} = 2ce^t + 2cC_1 [/tex]

or

[tex] 2\int {ce^T dT} = 2 \int {ce^T dt} = 2ce^t + 2C_1 [/tex]

the reason why i ask is because the constats for this problem are key in understanding the analytical boundaries of the problem.

There's been one mistake running through it all... v = dT/dx NOT dx/dT

I've worked out a solution but it doesn't fit with T(1) = T(-1) = 0
But it does work if x = 0, T = 0. No problems with T'(0) = 0.

x = - sqrt(2/c) {ln|1 + sqrt(1 - e^T)| - 1/2 T}

That's the best i could do.

your answer is actually right on i think, but did u use integration by parts? and which substitution?

Thanks

Last edited:
This question has quite a few twists to it, especially if you want to get an explicit equation with T as the subject. i checked my solution and you get back to the original second order equation.

dx/dT = 1/sqrt[2(k - ce^T) Where k is an arbitrary constant like you C1

to integrate this, i used e^T = k/c sin^2 (theta)

i got down to: x = -sqrt(2/k) { ln |sqrt(k) + sqrt(k-c)| - 1/2 ln|c| - 1/2 T} + A
where A is a constant

Using T'(0) = 0 has a trick to it:

at x = 0, dT/dx = 0 --> T = ln(k/c)
Therefore, at x = 0, T = ln(k/c)

Doing so, will yield A = 0

There's one problem after this relating to T(-1) = T(1) = 0

Initally, i inputed the values (x = 1 and -1, T = 0) into the equation and then substitution method for simultaneous equations. I got k = c.

Problem is when i tried to input the values back into the final finished equation, i get a contradiction --> 1 = 0.

So i suspect that the question may be wrong. either that i missed something.

I resolved the issue by saying that x = 0, T = 0 instead

I also was able to get an equation for T using a few tricks as well:

T = 2 { ln |2e^ (x sqrt(2/c))| - ln |1 + e^(x sqrt(2c))|

So have a go at getting that solution.

If you have any problems or want to see my working out, i can email it to you if u want.

Last edited:
everything makes sense to me, however.. I am trying to integrate the function such that both integration constants are left as is..

Last edited:
what do you mean?

In this integral problem, you'll have 3 constants: one you started with (c), one you attained from the first integration (k or C1), and the last from the final integration (A)

Since you gave me pairs of values for x,T and T', the constants will result in a certain value and the solution becomes particular rather than general.

If you wanted just the general solution, then values for x,T, and T' were unnecessary.

But is there more to the question? Can i have the whole question verbatim?

1. What is a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE?

A 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and other terms that are not related to the function or its derivatives. This term is often used in the context of physics, engineering, and other sciences to model real-world phenomena.

2. How is a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE different from a 2nd order homogeneous ODE?

A 2nd order homogeneous ODE only contains terms related to the function and its derivatives, while a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE includes additional terms that are not related to the function or its derivatives. This makes the solution to an inhomogeneous ODE more complex, as it involves both a particular solution and a general solution.

3. What is the general solution to a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE?

The general solution to a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE is the sum of a particular solution and the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. The particular solution can be found using methods such as variation of parameters, while the general solution to the homogeneous equation can be found by setting the inhomogeneous terms to zero.

4. How do you solve a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE with constant coefficients?

For a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE with constant coefficients, the particular solution can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the inhomogeneous terms and solving for the coefficients. The general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation can then be found by setting the inhomogeneous terms to zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order inhomogeneous ODEs?

2nd order inhomogeneous ODEs are commonly used to model a variety of physical phenomena, such as the motion of a spring-mass system, the decay of radioactive materials, and the growth of populations. They can also be used in engineering to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions.