1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order LODE System

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following system for [tex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/tex]:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now, I know how to solve for the magnitude of r (in fact, since it's the equation for the simple harmonic motion of a spring obeying hooke's law, I have it memorized), but I'd like to be able to solve for the component form. Here's what I've tried so far:

I start by guessing that [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] is in the form [tex]e^{\lambda t}\mathbf{u}[/tex], where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue and [tex]\mathbf{u}[/tex] is an eigenvector. Plugging in, I have

[tex]\left(\lambda^2 + \frac{k}{m}\right) e^{\lambda t}\mathbf{u} = \matbf{0}.[/tex]​

Since exp can never be 0, and it would be meaningless (I think) at this point to have u be 0, we can solve what's left for [tex]\lambda[/tex] and get
    [tex]\lambda = \pm i \sqrt{k \over m}.[/tex]​
    I know that the answer should look something like

[tex]\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{u}_1\cos{\sqrt{k \over m}}+\mathbf{u}_2\sin{\sqrt{k \over m}},[/tex]​

but I'm not sure how to find the eigenvectors (u1 and u2) here. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know what "eigenvectors" you are talking about. In fact, I see no reason to solve this as a vector problem at all. The components of r must satisfy exactly the same equation: x'= -(k/m)x, y'= -(k/m)y, z'= -(k/m)z (assuming r is in R3.)
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    As HallsofIvy stated (and in fact what you essentially did) is solve the exact same equation in the three components: your solutions are precisely of the form
    [tex]x = a_1 \cos{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}} + a_2 \sin{{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}}}[/tex]
    and similarly for y and z (with different constants).

Now you should note that u, as you used it, is NOT actually a eigenvector of the system like you stated and so lambda can not be its eigenvector; for if it were:
    [tex]\left(\frac{d^2}{{dt}^2}+\frac{k}{m}\right)\vec{u}=\lambda \vec{u}[/tex]
    [tex]\left(\frac{d^2}{{dt}^2}+\frac{k}{m}\right) e^{\lambda t} \vec{u} = \lambda^2 e^{\lambda t} \vec{u} + 2 \lambda e^{\lambda t} \frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}+ e^{\lambda t} \vec {u}[/tex]
    (ick, I suggest you work through it explicitly).

The concept you were really looking for here is constant. u and lambda are constants. Then everything you said makes sense, and you can see that u1 and u2 are determined by boundary conditions (just like in the one variable case).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?