1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} -x = te^{-t}

Find the general solution (I only need help on finding the particular solution).

2. Relevant equations

Well, I can easily find the complimentary solution via the characteristic equation, my problem lies in the particular solution.

If the RHS (right hand side) is a simple exponential function, I know to guess [tex]Ae^{-t}[/tex] then take the derivatives and sub them back into the equation then solve for A. I also know if the RHS is a simple polynomial of t, I guess that the particular solution is of the form [tex]At^{n} + Bt^{n-1} + .... +[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Given my above understanding, I tried guessing that the solution is [tex]Ate^{-t} + Bt[/tex] and [tex]Ate^{-t} + Be^{-t}[/tex] and both of them gave me no solution for B when trying to equate coefficients. So I have no idea what my guess should be.

Any help? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?