What's the mistake in finding a particular solution for a differential equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for the equation y''-2ay'+a^2y=e^ax and determining the particular solution using the modification rule. The general solution is found to be Ce^ax+Dxe^ax, and the particular solution is on the form Be^ax. There is a discussion on why the particular solution cannot be Bxe^ax and the correct solution is determined to be B(x^2)e^ax. The conversation also mentions the use of the modification rule in finding the solution.
kasse

Homework Statement

y''-2ay'+a^2y=e^ax

Find a general solution

2. The attempt at a solution

I've found the general solution of the homogeneous eq: Ce^ax+Dxe^ax

Next, I must find a particular solution on the form Be^ax (*), right?

The derivative of (*) is Bae^ax and the 2nd derivative is B(a^2)e^ax

so that

y''-2ay'+a^2y=0

e^ax can never be 0, so I must have made a mistake...

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you go from the general sol. Ce^ax+Dxe^ax to the particular sol. Be^ax? E.g., why not Bxe^ax?

EnumaElish said:
How do you go from the general sol. Ce^ax+Dxe^ax to the particular sol. Be^ax? E.g., why not Bxe^ax?

Bacause r(x)=e^ax, and my textbook tells me that the particular solution is then on the form Be^ax

how can the particular soln be of the form Be^ax, when Ce^ax satisfied the homogeneous soln?

also, the particular soln can't be of the form Bxe^ax since Dxe^ax also satisfied the homogeneous soln

therefore, the particular soln must be of the form...?

proton said:
how can the particular soln be of the form Be^ax, when Ce^ax satisfied the homogeneous soln?

also, the particular soln can't be of the form Bxe^ax since Dxe^ax also satisfied the homogeneous soln

therefore, the particular soln must be of the form...?

Ah, use of the modification rule twice?

B(x^2)e^ax?

I was thinking that Be^ax = Ce^ax + Dxe^ax when B = C and D = 0.

My book operates with the so-called modification rule. I got the corect solution this time.

1. What is the most common mistake in finding a particular solution for a differential equation?

The most common mistake in finding a particular solution for a differential equation is forgetting to include the constant of integration. This constant is necessary to account for all possible solutions to the equation and can greatly affect the final solution.

2. Why is it important to check the validity of a particular solution for a differential equation?

It is important to check the validity of a particular solution for a differential equation because not all solutions may be valid for the given initial conditions or boundary conditions. It is possible for a solution to satisfy the differential equation, but not the given conditions, leading to an incorrect solution.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in finding a particular solution for a differential equation?

Initial conditions play a crucial role in finding a particular solution for a differential equation. They provide specific starting values that the solution must satisfy and help determine the constant of integration. Without them, the solution may not accurately represent the real-life scenario.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when finding a particular solution for a differential equation?

To avoid making mistakes when finding a particular solution for a differential equation, it is important to carefully follow the necessary steps and double-check all calculations. It can also be helpful to check the solution against the original differential equation and initial conditions to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I use any method to find a particular solution for a differential equation?

No, not all methods can be used to find a particular solution for a differential equation. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and the given initial or boundary conditions. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters.