1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order ODE

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve:

[tex]
    -D(x) \frac{d^2 T}{dx^2}=1
    [/tex]

for [tex] x \in [0,1] [/tex]

D(x) =10-3 in [0,0.5] and D(x) = 1 in (0.5,1]

with homogeneous dirichlet boundary conditions

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have two quadratic equations with x(0)=x(1)=0 and continuity at x=0.5 but I'm missing a BC. I thought of the derative but I am uncertain. Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Missing a Boundary Condition? There are no boundary conditions given in the problem at all. You are asked for the general solution.

Solve for the general solution. T1(x), of [itex]d^2T/dx^2= -1000[/itex] between 0 and 0.5. That answer will involve two unknown constants, say C and D. Then solve for the general solution, T2(x), of [itex]d^2T/dx^2= -1 between 0.5 and 1. That will involve two new constants, say E and F. Set the values of the functions and their first derivatives equal at 0.5 in order to write E and F in terms of A and B. You should then have a two "piece" definition for T(x) both involving the same two constants, A and B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?