1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2nd order ODE

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a value of the constant r such that both e^rt and te^rt are solutions to the ODE
    ay''+by'+cy=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    can anyone guide me with this question please. Im not sure where to start.
    I know that e^rt is always a solution with homogeneous eqns, so in order for te^rt to be
    a solution it must equal e^rt
    so...

e^rt = te^rt

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If your solutions are y1=ert and y2=tert, then what does that say about the roots of the auxiliary equation?

Hint: Look at the form of the solution of y=Ay1+By2

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    so basically i sub y= e^rt + te^rt,
    im confused to taking the derivative of t*e^rt,
    correct me if im wrong, i would have to use product rule on that right?

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    If you have a second order differential equation with constant coefficients, such as ay''+by'+cy=0, then you can find r in the solutions you gave by finding the roots of the characteristic equation ar^2+br+c=0. The solutions you presented are characteristic of a repeated root. A "repeated root" means that the determinant in the quadratic equation is zero.

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    the roots for e^rt is just [-b(+/-)sqrt(b^2-4ac)]/2a
    how would i be able to find the equivalent for t * e^rt?

7. Sep 25, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you have repeated roots, then the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) in the quadratic formula will be zero.

For example, the quadratic equation x^2 - 4x + 4 = 0 has x = 2 as a repeated root.

If the differential equation were y'' - 4y' + 4y = 0, the characteristic equation would be r^2 - 4r + 4 = 0, which has repeated roots.

For this differential equation, we need two linearly independent functions, and these will be y1 = e^(2t) and y2 = te(2t). You can easily check that both are solutions to y'' - 4y' + 4y = 0.

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7
    im sorry but i dont quite understand how to show that t * e^2t is part of the solution.
    the "t" is really throwing me off.
    So i was wondering if i want those 2 solutions to be the same, the 'r' must have the same roots, so...

r=-b/2a
    then
    y1 = e^(-bt/2a)
    and
    y2 = t*e^(-bt/2a)?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. Sep 25, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How do you usually verify that a solution to a differential equation is actually a solution? Plug it into the diff. equation and see if you get a true statement, that's how.

For the DE that I gave as an example, y'' -4y' + 4y = 0, check that y = te2t is a solution.

y = te2t
    y' = e2t + 2te2t
    y'' = 2e2t + 2e2t + 4te2t = 4e2t + 4te2t

Then y'' - 4y' + 4y = (4e2t + 4te2t) - 4(e2t + 2te2t) + 4te2t
    = 0. This is true for all values of t.

Therefore, y = te2t is a solution to the differential equation y'' - 4y' + 4y = 0.

I think that you are losing sight of what you need to do in this problem.
    You have found a value of r so that you get two identical (repeated) roots in the characteristic equation (ar2 + br + c = 0).

Now all you need to do is to show that y = tert is a solution to the diff. equation ay'' + by' + cy = 0.

These two solutions are different, not the same, but they use the same value of r, which is -b/(2a).

10. Sep 26, 2010 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, that does not follow. For one thing you do NOT know that any solution must be of the form "e^{rt}" and no one has told you that! It was probably recommended in your text that you try something of the form e^{rt} (for a linear homogenous equation with constant coefficents) and then nice things happen- your differential equation reduces to a polynomial equation- the "characteristic equation". But it was never said that the the solution must of that form. You get different kinds of solutions in the case of a multiple (or triple, etc) root or complex roots to the characteristic equation.

Yes, of course. that is a product of t and e^rt. Its first derivative is e^rt+ rte^rt. Can you find the second derivative?

However, you don't need to substitute y= e^rt+ te^rt. Instead look at y= e^rt and y= te^rt separately. IF they are both solutions, then the general solution is a linear combination of them.

11. Sep 26, 2010 #10
    k so for the 2nd derivative i got

y'' = (tr^2)e^rt + 2re^rt +tre^rt + e^rt + te^rt

12. Sep 26, 2010 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You did not even need to do all of that, subbing y=ert would give you the auxiliary equation, since the roots are ert and tert, it means the roots of the auxiliary equation are equal.

13. Sep 26, 2010 #12
    im sorry but i dont quite understand, i subbed e^rt in as u said and got ar^2 + br + c = 0
    then the roots would be just the quadratic equation.

14. Sep 26, 2010 #13

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, so what are the roots of ar2+br+c = 0? (Use the quadratic equation formula)

15. Sep 26, 2010 #14
    [-b (+/-) sqrt ( b^2 - 4ac)]/2

16. Sep 26, 2010 #15

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Now your solutions are y=ert and y=tert, meaning that the roots are real and equal.

In r= [-b± √(b2 - 4ac)]/2a, what condition would make the roots equal? (Look what is under the square roots sign).

17. Sep 26, 2010 #16
    so the determinant will make the roots equal, so they must be = 0

18. Sep 26, 2010 #17

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, so that means b2-4ac=0, meaning r = ?

19. Sep 26, 2010 #18
    r = -b/2a

20. Sep 26, 2010 #19
    so r = -b/2a would make them both solutions.

21. Sep 26, 2010 #20

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

And is this not what the question wanted you to find? :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook