Solving the Differential Equation for Harmonic Oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to solve a differential equation for harmonic oscillations, specifically x'' + (kx)/m=0 where m is the mass and k is the spring constant. The participants discuss substituting x(t)=A*e^(rt) and x(t)=A*e^(i*omega*t) and arrive at the solution x(t)=Acos(omega*t)+iAsin(omega*t). They also clarify the role of the constant i in the solution.
PeetPb
greetings

Is there any way how to analytically solve the differential equation for harmonic oscillations ?

x'' + (kx)/m=0
where m is the mass and k is the spring constant

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would substitute x(t)=A*e^(rt) into the ode factor out x(t) and solve for r.

Thanks for the advice ... after five minutes of playing with it I figured out that we should substitute x(t)=A*e^(i*omega*t) and than all fits perfectly the equation is satisfied, the angular f turns out to be Sqrt(k/m) and the solution x(t)=Acos(omega*t)+iAsin(omega*t) ... However I'm still not sure about that i in the front of the sine. does it change anything ?

you have it pretty much solved. Just two "minor" things. When you take the square root there should be a plus minus sign in front of the square root. Therefore, it should be x(t)=A*e^(i*omega*t)+B*e^(-i*omega*t). After some minor manipulation this can be rewritten as x(t)=a*cos(omega*t)+b*sin(omega*t)

i is just another constant. So you can rewrite i*A = constant. It's no different from multiplying an arbitrary constant by 2. For example, let's say i*A=-2...then to make that happen A=-2/i. The presence of the i doesn't prevent i*A from equalling an arbitrary constant. I hope I didn't make that sound more complicated than it actually is.

thanks ... I've done it that way (with the square root of a square) when I was trying to substitute x(t)=A*e^(rt) unfortunately I'm too lazy and forgot about that later :D ... thanks anyway

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena, including harmonic oscillations.

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that oscillates or vibrates around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. Examples include a mass-spring system or a pendulum.

How do you solve a differential equation for harmonic oscillations?

To solve a differential equation for harmonic oscillations, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These methods allow you to find the general solution to the equation, which can then be used to solve for specific values of the variables.

What are the initial conditions in a differential equation for harmonic oscillations?

The initial conditions in a differential equation for harmonic oscillations refer to the starting values of the dependent and independent variables in the equation. These values are typically given as the position and velocity of the system at time zero.

Why are differential equations important in physics and engineering?

Differential equations are important in physics and engineering because they provide a mathematical framework for describing and analyzing complex systems and phenomena. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of these systems and design solutions to real-world problems.