Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's back, folks! The 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago is being planned for the week of July 4, 2007. This is a very early, advanced notice to everyone so that you have ample time to plan your summer vacation and trips.

The exact date has not been set yet. The preference right now is for the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July. If you would like to attend and have a preferred date, please let me know. The location is also to be determined, since it will depend on the number of people attending.

So come on down and meet the people that you've only "seen" via their words, punctuations, and emoticons. I might even show you my Disney pin collection! Now what bigger incentive to attend the Gathering than that?

:biggrin:

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could probably go if you have it on a weekend.

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I may be out at ANL sometime this summer anyway. I'll let you know.

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would love to meet my sisters!

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might need all of those dates to see the whole collection. :bugeye:

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:surprised

Long time no see!!!!!!!

8. Jan 31, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I thought that same thing.

Hey, TM. Where ya been? :biggrin:

9. Jan 31, 2007 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My life has undergone a big turnaround recently. One major contributor to that has been my return to school (started last fall). But I'm back now, and I plan on going to Chicago for this gathering. If you've never been to the Taste of Chicago, then you should do it at least once. It's a great time in a great city.

10. Jan 31, 2007 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Tom's back JUST so he could say that about my Disney collection!

:biggrin:

Zz.

11. Jan 31, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm in! MIH, I'm going to try to include at least one weekend day in my visit (probably the Saturday after the 4th). Though, now that Tom mentions it, I might need to add an extra day to see the full extent of the Disney pin collection. I've only seen what they can acquire on a single trip, so can't begin to imagine what is crammed into that home! :biggrin:

12. Feb 1, 2007 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm in if....Moonbear will pick me up, let me sleep in her car, and drop me off on her way back! :biggrin:

13. Feb 1, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I'm actually trying to decide between making it a road trip and flying. It'll probably depend on how much extra time I have as the time approaches closer.

Edit: Just to make this a bit more official, I've booked a room in Chicago from July 1 through July 7, so can meet up for a PF gathering any day that week. Since Zz didn't mention it (unless I missed it above somewhere), that week is also the Taste of Chicago week...I plan to fully enjoy that! That also means rooms will be booked pretty early, so if anyone is thinking about joining us, and doesn't have relatives/friends to stay with, you might want to book a hotel pretty early (hence the reason I've already reserved a room).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. Feb 10, 2007 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I forgot to add here that if anyone from out-of-town plans on joining us and need some help with hotel recommendations, I'd be more than happy to help. Just ask Moonbie! :)

If the number of attendees is small enough, we might do this gathering at my place, and I'll cook dinner! You may take that as an incentive, or a deterrent. :)

More definite info will follow as the date gets closer and as we know how many are coming. So far, we are planning on the weekend after July 4th, the leading candidate is Saturday, July 7th.

Zz.

15. Feb 11, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the first time that I have felt a twinge of regret that I have mostly quit travelling for my work. I have passed through O'Hare at least dozens of times, and could have easily arranged to meet in years past. One year [just before I joined PF] I spent nearly two weeks in a hotel on the Loop.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  16. Feb 11, 2007 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I can, I'll drive over on saturday and get back some time sunday.

17. Feb 12, 2007 #16
    What! Hotel Recommendations??? You mean you aren't planning on telling us bed-time stories and tucking us in with you??? Booooo... in that case *I* don't know if I want to even consider comming! :cry:

18. Feb 12, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Your nickname is misleading. You sound like you've been around here for ages already. :rofl:

19. Feb 12, 2007 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No doubt. :rofl: Newbie, change your name. Didn't we fish-slap you already?

And yeah, what's the dang deal? I thought we were all staying in the Disney Suite at Zapper's! :approve:

20. Feb 12, 2007 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can't just ask to stay at the Disney Suite. You have to be lucky enough to be selected for it, just they way they do for Cindy's Castle at the Magic Kingdom.

Zz.

21. Feb 13, 2007 #20
    LOL. I think you have me mistaken for someone else. :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?